When using the connectx LX EN in VMware with SR-IOV, are there any settings on the host related to pause frames and/or ring buffer size that effects/overrides the guest.

Typically when the NIC is used by the host using vmxnet3, you will get improved performance if you change settings on the NIC using the host exscli. I am using a VF for SR-IOV and I am not sure if I need to change the vmnic settings on the host or if the guest completely controls this behavior and there would be no performance improvement changing the vmnic settings.

Hello Klassen,

Thank you for posting your inquiry on the NVIDIA Networking Community.

OOB, our adapters are already configured for the highest performance, you still are able to change certain settings based on the network traffic pattern in the fabric. You can use the following syntax to retrieve the module parameters, based on the ESXi version in use.

esxcli system module parameters list -m nmlx5_core

Based on the retrieved list and the purpose for the parameters from the UM, you can adapt to your own satisfaction

Thank you and regards,

~NVIDIA Networking Technical Support

Thanks for the reply. I think I have seen that command before but I didn’t see anything related to ring buffer settings. Please correct me if I missed something. From your response it would appear that no device settings are needed the performance is already optimal.

Thanks again.