Xubuntu-Core / XFCE4 18.04.2 - Custom Image for the Jetson Nano

I’m not really familiar with docker.

I saw this while browsing though… seems cool.

a raspberry pi image running on the nano.

[url]https://blog.hypriot.com/post/nvidia-jetson-nano-intro/[/url]

Goodmoring mr.chrismitchells

I have been using the imge for 2 weeks now and it is stable and working nice
there a some minor things I noticed (but a I am a linux newby)

• there is no message there is a software update (sudo apt-get works). I the original nvidia image you get a notification
    -tine setting is without daylight saving, the system time is 2 hours behind. I have used Amsterdam and Berlin. Both 2 hours behind
  • it is not possible to change the system language. You can download but not select
    -maybe a swap file, I can do it/make it myself but maybe you can built it in the image.

now something else
on the youtube channel explaining computers.om the was a comparison between the Jetson and the RPI4. In the final minutes of the movie the presenter reads out an message form Nvdia about FFMEG integration. When this is available, will this also be available on you’re image

thanks USZOUSZO

Hi uszouszo, thanks for trying out my image. I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

I’ll do my best to help you out.

First thing you need to keep in mind that this is a very minimal installation of Xubuntu/Xfce it’s about 3 GB of software away from being a standard Ubuntu installation, which is to say it’s going to be missing some things that would normally be included in an Ubuntu live cd.

With that being said everything that is included does function correctly and it does include all of the extra Nvidia tools that are included in the jetson nano bsp package.

Here are some steps you can take to get the things you mentioned going.

Also as a tip to someone that might just be starting out with the nano don’t forget it run the jetson_clocks tool once you log in. it will give a a significant performance boost. :-)

sudo jetson_clocks

Now to change the language please do the following:

Open the application menu and type “language” then open the language support application. Select install /remove languages and download your language.

Once it is installed log out to the login screen and in the upper right hand corner there is an icon to select the language you wish to use prior to logging in.

Click that and select the new language you installed then log in and you should be good to go. (tested this myself and it functions correctly)

To set the correct time you need to select the appropriate time zone and location:

timedatectl set-timezone Zone/SubZone

Where you replace Zone/SubZone with correct data. You can obtain list of all available timezones by typing:

timedatectl list-timezones

To receive new software update notifications:

sudo apt-get install update-notifier

this should intall the required software.

Hope that helps!!

As for as the FMPEG thing you mentioned , I’m not really sure what your referring to i’ll have to take a look at the video. However I don’t currently have any plans to create an second revision of the image.

You are the first person to mention that they are using it lol but if I start to notice more interest I would be open to it.

Thanks again,
Chris.

This is quoted from a private message I received, I would like to reply to it here.

Hi Lama, in regards to your last message.

I’m glad you like the image, I do believe it runs smoother than the stock nvidia image.

I’m using Compton by default as the desktop compositor and I can get 1440p youtube playback without very many dropped frames at all.

You may already be aware of this but if you are using a barrel jack to power the nano the first thing you want to do once it boots up is run

sudo jetson_clocks

which will give you a significant performance boot in most applications …especially web browsing.

if you are not using a barrel jack to power the nano you should get one asap for the use case you seem to be using the nano for.

In regards to VLC I had a couple issues with the version that I pre-installed in my image so I would suggest doing a

sudo apt purge vlc*

and then re-installing to see if that helps.

Also keep in mind that I don’t believe the VLC supports hardware video decoding on the nano …I could be wrong though.

For Kodi , unfortunately the only version available on ubuntu 18.04 for arm64 is version 17. however following the instructions on the xbmc github page I was able to compile version 18 on the nano quite easily …took me about half an hour. the instructions are pretty good and I believe there should be hardware video decoding support in kodi if you build it on the nano.

I have tried Vivaldi browser as well and I would say the overall performance is a bit slower then chromium however video playback in Vivaldi seems quite good. the gui itself is quite a bit more complicated than chrome but as I mentioned above running the jetson_clocks tool should boost the performance. I still felt like the experience using vivaldi on the nano was decent so that could be what your issue is.

I suggest you search these forums for any issues you may come across as they are most likely related to the capabilities of the nano itself and not necessarily the OS.

And remember to post any solutions you come across so everyone can benefit!

Regards,
Chris.

Hi there good morning,
thank for the reply and in tried all you’re solutions, they all worked but one.
The time is still off (not a real big problem) in the login screen the time good but when the desktop is loaded it is still 2 hours behind.

Will try tomorrow to compile the kodi you have mentioned in the other post.

Uszouszo

Hi uszouszo,

Sorry to hear you’re still having trouble with the time. I would suggest searching google for various way to set the time in XFCE.

One thing that I noticed is when I boot my nano without internet connected the time is 2 hours behind but as soon as I plug the internet in the time server updates and the correct time is set.

so as long as you set the correct time zone and location and have internet hooked up I don’t know why you would have an issue.

I believe the time server should update automatically but I could be wrong.

I’m in Canada Ontario / Eastern Standard time and the clock is always correct on my nano.

Are you sure you have the correct time zone set for your location?.. what city do you live in?

Hi again, I just wanted to post your download link just in case someone else also has problems downloading from the site

Also if you could post updated version of KODI it would be great because i couldn’t find anywhere :|

This is great . how did you remove the first boot timezone lanaguge Nvidia user agrement and setup process and created default username and password then allow it straight boot to login page ?

great thanks

I have installed this OS and I am very HAPPY! I am an XUBUNTU fan. I been using it since inception. I have been using this image for about 2 months. I flashed it to a 128 GB Samsung HC microSD. The extra room and the fast write of the microSD makes it work perfectly. I would suggest that anyone wishing to use the NANO use a 128GB MicroSD.

I am a root developer of FFMPEG. You will find my name in the developers credits. FFMPEG has changed the world and many people do not even know what it is. Without it YouTube would not exist.

I have made a software GUI that runs from a LIVE DVD. You can encode any format to .mp4 .mkv .vob. .webm The software runs from the disk and does not install anything in your registry or to path. One click converts all your videos in the default windows video folder. It works with this version of XUBUNTU as well.connect an external DVD drive via the usb and convert anything.

That is part one.

This month I have created a LIVE stream to YouTube using the NANO. I have a USB Logitech 920 HD camera connected. It feeds directly to the FFMPEG base and send the stream to your YouTube LIVE broadcast account. You just enter your broadcast key in the GUI box when prompted. This also runs from a LIVE DVD.

So you connect an external DVD player to USB. I have 2 connected. They are the LG slim type from Micro Center $24 each. I put the converter disk in one and the broadcast disk in the other. I have an exteranl 3.1 USB 128 GB flash drive from Microcenter with all my daily videos. One disk converts the files and stores then to my NAS via the LAN. The other sends them to YouTube as a LIVE stream. My NAS automatically posts to my other YouTube account.

How does the NANO perform? Better than my case computer gulping up power like no tomorrow. The NANO SMOKES the big PC type machine. It is ridiculously fast.

I have an external fan on my NANO from an old server. 12V 1.5amp HP server fan with its own power supply. My NANO is chilly to say the least. I tried this with the Nividia build on a 16 gig chip and it just bricked up. I used the XUBUNTU version on a 128GB chip and it has never failed. I have process 4TB of videos in about 2 weeks of continuous conversion. The NANO chews thru them like a chain saw. An incredible little device

My HD LIVE STREAM to YouTube at 1080p has zero dropped frames and zero audio problems. all the LIVE broadcasts are perfect.

I have loaded an AI bot program that uses the camera as a sort of LIDAR. The video is then broadcast live to YouTube as well as being captured locally. So my tech partners can just go to my private LIVE feed on YouTube and see how the robot is running around.

The external DVD drives only need to spin up once. After the FFMPEG is loaded in to memory it accesses it from there. So after the firt connection you can simply unplug the drives.

Thank you for making that xubuntu image… Beer is on me…

Hi, when I try to download this image I get “Cannot connect securely to this page”.
Is there another link to the Xubuntu-Core image for the Jetson Nano?

If you want xubuntu on Linux for Tegra, you should be able to just “sudo apt install xubuntu-core”. Then there is no need to trust anybody but Nvidia and Canonical. Another useful tool is apt-clone (sudo apt install apt-clone) which will allow you to clone and restore a particular set of apt packages.

Hi timothysbyrne,

This link still appears to be working.

https://files.fm/u/nb9wbkxn

Also, I can assure you this image is perfectly safe to use.

A package manifest is attached to the first post if you are curious to see what is actually installed.

You might want to wait for a few days though because I plan on releasing a new image with the latest nvidia BSP and Lubuntu 19.10.

I also managed to get the oem configuration working too so the initial setup process will be the same as the nvidia images, no need for a default username.

so coming soon lubuntu-19.10_l4t-32.2.3.img …

As a side note…

There are a few reasons someone might want to use my image over the nvidia one.

This image is much more light weight than the nvidia one memory usage is significantly lower.

Installing xubuntu-core on top of the nvidia image still leaves you with all the gnome bloat that was there in the first place.

This image is very barebones and doesnt include any of the development packages that are included with the nvidia image… this can be looked at as a clean slate to create whatever you want.

But of course if you are doing something with your nano that is security sensitive you are always safer using only the manufacturers suggested software.

This is true, but they won’t be resident in memory and then you can always switch back to an Ubuntu session at the login screen if you want.

Please do not misunderstand. I have nothing agianst your image. I am simply presenting an alternative way to get to a similar place.

That being said, that browser warning does suggest the download page is not using https and as such you might want to choose another service. FWIW, Github will let you use releases for this.

Hello mr Chrismitchells,

" so coming soon lubuntu-19.10_l4t-32.2.3.img … "

Is this image already available?

Hi there, may I know if this image is compatible with the Jetson Nano 2GB?

I would really like an alternative os that is lightweight without all the bloat.