337.25 breaks GTX 480 HDMI Audio

Easy to reproduce. Using any other Nvidia driver test the audio using video, game or whatever. Works fine. Using 337.25 applications outputting audio (Firefox, Ubuntu audio applet) will become not responsive for a short time (~5s) and will not output audio to HDMI display.

Tested my SB Tactic Wireless headphones (USB) and they work so I know audio works, but after driver update HDMI audio will not work.

Using Ubuntu 14.04 with xorg-edgers PPA enabled. Reverting back to 334.21 in xorg-edgers works as expected.
[This file was removed because it was flagged as potentially malicious] (159 KB)
nvidia-bug-report-334.21.log.gz (168 KB)

337.25 also borked hdmi audio with my GT520. Using stable kernel 3.14.4 here. Went back to the 337.19 beta and now my hdmi audio is happily working again.

Thanks for reporting this. Can you please attach two nvidia-bug-report.log.gz files, one from 337.19 with it working, and one from 337.25 with it not working?

This is strange. So I re-updated to 337.25 and now sound is mostly working, although at first it would not work in Don’t Starve even after confirming it works in the Ubuntu audio applet. So I checked Metro Last Light and audio worked so I went back to Don’t Starve and audio worked!

I did notice however that now my HDMI display is now at the bottom of the Ubuntu audio applet instead of the top where it normally is. Just checked again and now its the top audio device. Strange. I will attach a bug report from this install of 337.25 and a report from 334.21 on my original post. I would have done 337.19 but there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to revert to it using xorg-edgers and synaptic.

On my original install of 337.25 audio would not work through HDMI at all so I am at a loss as to why it is working now. I originally updated to 337.25 directly from 337.19 FWIW.

I will keep using 337.25 and report back if I notice audio issues again.

In case anyone was wondering… The problem is that the card name keeps changing. At least that’s the problem in my case. For example, I could install the driver and get:

card 1: NVidia_1 [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

I could uninstall and reinstall the driver, and then it would become:

card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

I don’t know why that happens but it’s something new. I’m not sure the Nvidia driver is to blame however, it could be an issue with the alsa driver (snd_hda_intel). I fixed it by writing a script to automatically adjust my /etc/asound.conf accordingly. But, that shouldn’t be necessary to begin with because the card name should be consistent.