35.3.1, how to massflash into Orin Nano

When I use 35.3.1 , HW is Orin Nano + SSD, in the Linux_for_Tegra directory, I run sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --external-device nvme0n1p1 -c tools/kernel_flash/flash_l4t_external.xml -p "-c bootloader/t186ref/cfg/flash_t234_qspi.xml --no-systemimg" --network usb0 jetson-orin-nano-devkit-nvme external the command to flash, Orin-Nano works.

In the same environment, try to massflash operation. To generate mfi package

sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --no-flash --external-device nvme0n1p1 -p "-c bootloader/t186ref/cfg/flash_t234_qspi.xml --no-systemimg" -c ./tools/kernel_flash/flash_l4t_external.xml --massflash 5 --showlogs --network usb0 jetson-orin-nano-devkit-nvme nvme0n1p1

and

sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --no-flash --external-device nvme0n1p1 -p "-c bootloader/t186ref/cfg/flash_t234_qspi.xml --no-systemimg" -c ./tools/kernel_flash/flash_l4t_external.xml --massflash 5 --showlogs --network usb0 jetson-orin-nano-devkit nvme0n1p1

, and then flash into Orin Nano

sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh  --flash-only --massflash 1 --network usb0 --showlogs

It get an error.

My USB cable can flash normally, but fail in the mfi image.
orin-nano-flash-unnormal.md (5.7 KB)

1 Like

are you using a devkit? I am using an a203v2 carrier board. my orin nano is detected by the sdk manager etc and attempting to flash through the cli seems to working better for me. I also get basically the same error. The commands you provided got me further than the sdkmanager did.

[ 0.2014 ] tegrarcm_v2 --instance 2-1.6 --chip 0x23 0 --pollbl --download bct_mem mem_rcm_sigheader.bct.encrypt --download blob blob.bin
[ 0.2027 ] BL: version 0.32.0.0-t234-54845784-57325615 last_boot_error: 0

Hi JackyChen,

Are you using the devkit or custom board for Orin Nano?

Have you referred to Workflow 7: Initrd Massflash in Linux_for_Tegra/tools/kernel_flashREADME_initrd_flash.txt

@KevinFFF hi, I use custom board for Orin Nano.

I have already referred to Workflow 7: Initrd Massflash, But something went wrong in the flashing.

For the first screenshot, it seems you need to enter force recovery mode before flash.

For the second screenshot, have you changed another USB cable or port on host PC?
It might directly be caused from unstable USB connection from your host PC and the board.

@KevinFFF Hi but I tried to switch to a different host, a different usb cable, the same problem.

Are you using standalone Ubuntu18.04 or 20.04 as your host PC?

Have you tried to use same count of - -massflash for both generating mfi package and flash?

@KevinFFF x86 host, ubuntu 22.04.
Because I am in the same environment, I can flash to Orin Nano + SSD by command

sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --no-flash --external-device nvme0n1p1 -p "-c bootloader/t186ref/cfg/flash_t234_qspi.xml --no-systemimg" -c ./tools/kernel_flash/flash_l4t_external.xml --massflash 5 --showlogs --network usb0 jetson-orin-nano-devkit-nvme nvme0n1p1

I dont’t think unstable USB connection .

Have you tried to flash Orin Nano + SSD in massflash ?Can you share the log of massflash flashing ?

Yes, please refer to the following log of massflash.
massflash.log (42.0 KB)

@KevinFFF Can you share your command for generating mfi?

It is the same as yours.

sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --no-flash --external-device nvme0n1p1 -p "-c bootloader/t186ref/cfg/flash_t234_qspi.xml --no-systemimg" -c ./tools/kernel_flash/flash_l4t_external.xml --massflash 5 --showlogs --network usb0 jetson-orin-nano-devkit nvme0n1p1

@KevinFFF Are these operations required to specify an operating system?

hi JackyChen,
could you try command like this:
1:mfi
sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --no-flash --external-device nvme0n1p1 -p “-c bootloader/t186ref/cfg/flash_t234_qspi.xml --no-systemimg” -c ./tools/kernel_flash/flash_l4t_external.xml --massflash 5 --showlogs --network usb0 jetson-orin-nano-devkit-nvme nvme0n1p1
2:flash
sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --flash-only --network usb0 --massflash 5 --showlogs

@Jeffli Hi,I have tried using this command to generate mfi images and the same problem occurs.

Hi JackyChen,
please upload mfi log, thanks

Hi JackChen,
1)which module you flash, devkit Orin nano or MP Orin nano
2)does mfi create successfully?

@Jeffli , Today I re-released the SDK package, copied your command to generate the MFi compressed package and flashing command, it works success.
orin-nano_mfi_flash.log (351.9 KB)
It’s very strange because my previous command was the same as yours.

@KevinFFF @Jeffli Hi,
I generate mfi in Orin AGX platform, which flash SDK 35.2.1, to gen mfi log here
orin-nano-mfi_gen_from_arm64.log (262.9 KB)

and then I copied the MFI compressed file to the x86 platform running Ubuntu 22.04, and encountered a USB timeout issue during the flash process.
flash.log (6.6 KB)

Hi Jacky,
generate mfi on Orin AGX? do you try to flash Orin nano module or Orin AGX?

@Jeffli Yes, generate mfi on Orin AGX. But Orin AGX does not support flashing, so I copied it to an x86 host for flashing operations.