4070 Super gets reported as "NVIDIA Device 2783"

Hi,

I just got the Gigabyte Windforce 4070 Super today and have downgraded my drivers to the 535.154.05 version, which is supposed to support the 4070 Super.

The gpu gets reported as “NVIDIA Device 2783” from lspci. Is the support not proper yet in the latest driver?

nvidia-cachyos-bugreport.sh is attached.

Also it would be good, if you provide a new version of the 545xx series to have the new feature for wayland from it.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.1 MB)

Functionally the driver should be working just fine. It’s just that the correct display name isn’t being reported, probably because of a rushed driver release.

Interestingly, BAR1 memory usage is reported higher than it should be AFAIK:

BAR1 Memory Usage
        Total                             : 16384 MiB
        Used                              : 20 MiB
        Free                              : 16364 MiB

But that shouldn’t hurt anything realistically.

The display name in lspci comes from the PCI IDs repository. That will have to be updated and refreshed on the machine to show the display name. It has nothing to do with the driver release.

The driver isn’t reporting the correct name either:

Product Name : NVIDIA Graphics Device

I’ve never heard of anyone else having this issue with a 4090 on launch so I can only assume it was missed.

Hi, I’ve been tinkering with a new 4070 super as well. Tried 535 and 545 series drivers on Gentoo and the card had worse performance than old 1080 Ti. The card got reported as “NVIDIA Graphics Device” by the driver. Here are the exact versions:

545.29.06-r1

I upgraded to driver version 550.40.07 and the card gets now reported as “NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER” when running:

$ nvidia-smi --query-gpu=gpu_name --format=csv

Brief 3D game testing looked a lot better (as in 60 FPS out of the box). Haven’t checked GPU loads or ran any benchmarks. Looks way more promising.

Hope this helps!