[470b] XWayland applications grey/black screen

Gave the 470.42.01 driver a spin today on Fedora 34 GNOME as three monitors are causing Nouveau to kernel panic from sleep. Rebuilt the source packages from RPM Fusion latest, and configured the system according to the README. However, XWayland applications are not having a fun time, in that they only render a black or grey swatch in place of the window contents. For Google Chrome/VS Code I could add the necessary Ozone parameters to convert to Wayland and that’d be fine, but others like Slack were no-go’s. Also had some random window bordering around flatpak XWayland applications, but the apps themselves worked.

General Info:

• Fedora 34
  • Kernel: 5.12.15
  • Driver: 470.42.01
  • GPU: GTX 1070

Has anyone else given this a spin yet and seen better results? Hoping I’m just missing something.

Cheers,
Mike

please see the readme
Chrome (and anything that runs on the chromium engine) uses vdpau by default.
You can turn thus off bu adding these arguments: --use-gl=desktop --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder
or maybe adding them to ~/.config/chromium-flags.conf NB I didn’t test this ←

I had read through that page before, but I wasn’t aware what Chromium was using under the hood.

Unfortunately the ~/.config/{chrome,chromium}-flags.conf file(s) didn’t have any effect. I’ve had to manually alter the .desktop launch files to add the necessary flags.

Alternatively I could use --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland but that means a few apps are running without any kind of decorations. As long as I can still move them with the keyboard+mouse shortcuts that’s fine, but that situation is up to the apps to fix.

Thanks for the tip on the flags though, works a treat! Hopefully this is something that gets ironed out in a later release.

Cheers,
Mike

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.