Any high-altitude considerations for GTX line of GPUs?

In the course of a project a question has come up regarding the performance and reliability of a PC system with at least one GTX GPU in high-altitude locations.

Googled the topic and could not find any info, so figure I would ask here. Cant imagine it makes too much difference but it would be nice to find some data which supports that idea. Any considerations related to cooling?

Assume a GTX 980 at an altitude above 2500 ft above sea level.

Altitude can have an impact on cooling since thinner air will transport less heat energy. I can’t imagine an elevation of 2500 ft posing any problems as there are plenty of cities in the US located a much higher altitudes, but if you plan to run at Everest base camp it might be a different situation.

Also, there are natural fluctuations in air pressure due to normal weather conditions that are similar to the pressure differences between sea level and 2,500 ft. Have you checked specifications for actively cooled Teslas or Quadros to see whether they specify some sort of “service ceiling”?

I vaguely recall some impact on hard drives at very high elevations as these are basically sealed enclosures with very little air exchange that can equalize pressure. [Later:] As an example, Dell seems to specify an operating ceiling of 10,000 ft for hard drives (http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN80457/EN).

For a fun science experiment, take your system on a weekend trip to Crater Lake, where pretty much every place along Rim Road is at > 7,000 ft. Or spend some time over in Flagstaff, AZ (at about 6,900 ft). Alternatively, head to Yosemite via Tioga Pass (~ 9,950 ft). Don’t wait too long or snowy weather will set in :-)

If you want to try something quicker, an extended lunch break should be sufficient to try your system at Lick Observatory on Mt. Hamilton, at an elevation of about 4,200 ft.

Lol, I should be so lucky to have the time…