AV1 Encoding and FRUC: Video Performance Boosts and Higher Fidelity on the NVIDIA Ada Architecture

Originally published at: AV1 Encoding and FRUC: Video Performance Boosts and Higher Fidelity on the NVIDIA Ada Architecture | NVIDIA Technical Blog

AV1 Encoding comes to Video Codec SDK 12.0 on NVIDIA Ada, while frame rate up conversion (FRUC) doubles video frame rates with interpolation in Optical Flow 4.0.

1 Like

Hi
Can you tell us what is the underlying algorithms behind nvidia optical flow method.
Thanks
Ilan

1 Like

Hi, is it possible to use greater than 2X framerate enhancement using FRUC? I.e. generate, say, 2 or more intermediate frames, instead of just 1.

You would only need to do the forward / back motion vector estimates once, plus filling in the missing gaps, and use those end points to generate several intermediary frames instead of just 1. I’d love to see a 5x or even 10x enhancement (like 24 FPS → 120 FPS or even 240).

thanks!

Any anticipated release date for NVOF SDK 4.0? Front page said “in October” ;)

Thanks.

I would welcome an adjustable interpolation. Having a 0-1 parameter as the distance between the frames. 0 would be completely first frame and 1 the second one. 0.5 would be the interpolated exactly in between.

Available Now!!! :)

1 Like

Hi,
We do not provide these details publicly but are happy working under NDA with companies requiring this information when needed. Please reach out to your NVIDIA contact if this is needed.

Current implementation of FRUC library support only 2x framerate in one run.
FRUC library is capable to interpolate a frame anywhere between two frames e.g. given two frames at time stamp 0 and 1 you can interpolate frame at any arbitrary time stamp like 0.25, 0.33, 0.75 and so on.
Frame rate of more than 2x can be achieved using FRUC library multiple times on same input stream. This solution is not optimal and efficient but will allow you to test and check on your end.