Black Screen After install CUDA 10.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

@generix
After installing hwe stack:

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-18.04 xserver-xorg-hwe-18.04

Everything works fine.

@generix

I have had a hard time installing the HWE.
Should the runtime be installed?

I guess the repo nvidia driver does not work right out ofthe box with it:

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-418
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
nvidia-driver-418 : Depends: xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-418 (= 418.43-0ubuntu0~18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I think the matching driver is currently in the staging ppa:
[url]https://launchpad.net/~mamarley/+archive/ubuntu/staging[/url]

I am back at square one.

After purging nvidia drivers and cuda, intalling HWE, installing staging drivers (and not CUDA):
Same black screen after login:
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.12 MB)

Now that’s crap. Please check if plymouth is involved in this by removing “quiet splash” from kernel command line. Alternatively, you can try adding nvidia-drm.modeset=1

I experienced this issue with Ubuntu 18.04.02 with a desktop Intel Skylake system and GTX 1080Ti.

What didn’t work for me:

• A completed purge of the NVIDA drivers and CUDA Toolkit enabled booting and getting a desktop with generic driver. Reinstalling driver and reboot reproduced issue. Re-installing HWE - no change Re-installing ubuntu-desktop and X11 Deleting xorg.conf and making a new one with nvidia-xconfig.

What did work:

• Enabling Direct Rendering Manager KMS by adding 'nvidia-drm.modeset=1' to the kernel boot params in grub. Removing it breaks it, adding it makes work. Removing 'quiet splash' from kernel boot params in grub. Again, adding it breaks the screen after login, and removing makes everything work.

My final solution was to network install via apt-get nvidia-driver-418 remove ‘quiet splash’ from kernel boot params in grub without having Direct Rendering Manager KMS option specified/enabled. So it looks to be like some issue with Plymouth.

Thanks for checking and reporting, PGRICH. This should be reported to Ubuntu if it hasn’t been already. Hopefully Nvidia will also do some investigations on why this is suddenly happening with the 418 driver series.

I confirm that applying the same final solution as @@PGRICH works also for me.
Thank you for the help @generix

Thank you

PGRICH, did you remove ‘ quiet splash’ permanently and if so, how?

See this:
[url]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBootParameters[/url]

Hi. Installation steps are described here How do I install NVIDIA and CUDA drivers into Ubuntu? - Ask Ubuntu . When manufacturers of Linux operating systems and video card drivers begin to work together on bugs… It is wildly annoying when the screen does not work in the workflow after updating the video driver…

I still installed it. Does not work. This is an instruction from your official site. After installation, just a black screen.

sudo dpkg -i cuda-repo-ubuntu1804_10.1.105-1_amd64.deb
sudo apt-key adv --fetch-keys https://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1804/x86_64/7fa2af80.pub
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cuda

When will you make normal video drivers for ubuntu? After updating it is impossible to work with CUDA. I’m angry

The official .deb (local) works, but only after you install the graphics-drivers ppa version of nvidia-driver-418.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver-418

Then reboot. You should not have a permanent black screen and you should be able to use nvidia-smi. Then just follow the download page instructions:

sudo dpkg -i cuda-repo-ubuntu1804-10-1-local-10.1.105-418.39_1.0-1_amd64.deb
sudo apt-key add /var/cuda-repo-10-1-local-10.1.105-418.39/7fa2af80.pub
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cuda

You should be able to verify your CUDA installation by

cd /usr/local/cuda-10.1/samples
sudo make # This takes a long time
/usr/local/cuda-10.1/samples/bin/x86_64/linux/release/matrixMulCUBLAS

You should see something like

Comparing CUBLAS Matrix Multiply with CPU results: PASS

if it works.

Is it alright that the nvidia drivers from PPA depend on xserver-xorg-core? - Ask Ubuntu To NVIDIA devs: the problem is that the official nvidia-driver-418 has a deep dependency on xserver-xorg-core which requires ubuntu-desktop and all other xorg packages (because they have the hwe suffix) to be removed. See this AskUbuntu thread: and this Reddit thread: Reddit - Dive into anything.

I have the same issue 1: cannot switch to other tty.

I also have the same issue…

Hello!
I have the same problem.
My ubuntu 18.04 not start GUI after CUDA installation.
However I have ssh connection with my ubuntu.
Here is attached the bug report.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.1 MB)

Hi,

After installing the driver, I cannot get signal to my screen and here is the bug report.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.1 MB)

Marc.