Blank screens on games with Adaptive VSync (FIFO_RELAXED_KHR) enabled, Driver 550 Regression (Works on 535)

How to repro:

Install mangohud, in it’s config (~/.config/MangoHud/MangoHud.conf), add vsync=0, this will enable Vulkan Adaptive VSync (FIFO_RELAXED_KHR).

Enable it for any xwayland game you would like to play (In my case Elden Ring, Doom Eternal both experience this issue) by changing the command line options to mangohud %command% in steam.

Observe that the game will never launch. It will be stuck on white screen for Elden Ring and a black screen for Doom Eternal

Rolling back to version 535 drivers, Adaptive VSync (FIFO_RELAXED_KHR) seems to work again (by working I mean I set it in mangohud and my games actually launch)

You can confirm which sync mode is in use with mangohud overlay by enabling present_mode to it’s config (~/.config/MangoHud/MangoHud.conf). On 535 this shows the correct sync which is FIFO Relaxed.

Seems to be an issue since 545, although I have not tested those shortlasted drivers.

1 Like

After further testing, it seems both FIFO_RELAXED_KHR vsync=0 and Mailbox (VSync with uncapped FPS) MAILBOX_KHR vsync=2 seem to be broken. Full FIFO_KHR with vsync=3 and games seem to boot fine.

Really easy repro steps here. Would be grateful if NVidia team could repro this issue soon for the 550 release.

1 Like

Can confirm that 545+ breaks this settings in MangoHud.
Also, when i’m trying to force vsync=2( Mailbox ) for example, my games refusing to start. Without any options in MangoHud config, my MangoHud overlay reporting in vsync - "Mailbox" most of the time. If i enable Vsync in the game, it changes to "FIFO_KHR" as expected.

1 Like

bumpp

Bumppppp

Hi @faz
I have filed a bug 4602987 internally for tracking purpose.
Could you please help to share nvidia bug report.

1 Like

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (912.3 KB)

Here is the bug report as requested. This was simply running mangohud vkcube with vsync=0 (FIFO Relaxed) in mangohud config.

Hi @faz
I configured mangohud with vsysnc=0 and launched Elden Ring by changing the command line options to mangohud %command% in steam with driver 550.54.14 but game didn’t start.
Later I downgraded driver to 535.129.03 but unfortunately still see the same issue.
When I removed “mangohud %command%” from command line option, it launched successfully.
I wanted to know which 535 driver was the last passing driver for you and is this issue reproducible with X protocol also.

Hyprland (Wayland wlroots based compositor ) + Arch.
Dota 2, Warhammer 40000 Darktide worked with vsync=0 + mangohud %command% in 535.
I can redo test again if required.

Update: i’m on NixOS currently. Made generation with 535 driver. Set vsync=0 in manhogud.
Plasma 6.

Elden ring. Mangohud + gamescope. Vsync=0

Dota 2. mangohud with vsync= 0, but without gamescope in this time

As we can see in these screenshots, Mangohud reports that these games are running on FIFO_RELAXED_KHR.
I saved the NixOS generation with the 535 driver in case more info is required."

all 535 drivers were working for me with the vsync=0 option. A version I can name specifically would be 535.154.05

I can repro issue on my local setup by running mangohud vkcube with vsync=0 in mangohud config.
This is under investigation now. I’ll share updates from Engineering when available.

1 Like