Bloody Structs

Ok, I’m having an issue with structs. The following code will compile under emulation mode, but not in normal mode:

[codebox]

#include <stdio.h>

struct bog

{

int bilbo;

};

struct MyBob

{

__device__ void operator()(int j)

{

;// do nothing

}

};

template

global void bob(Fex f)

{

struct bog Joe;

struct bog *john;

john = &Joe;

john->bilbo = 0;

f(john->bilbo);

}

int main (int argc, char * const argv)

{

printf(“Hello\n”);

MyBob bubba;

bob<<<1,1>>>(bubba);

return 0;

}

[/codebox]

The specific error that nvcc is spitting out is: “nvcc error : ‘cudafe’ died due to signal 11 (Invalid memory reference)”

Anyone know what the heck is going on here?

Thanks much

Paul

Works just fine here with CUDA 2.3.

However compilation crashes with CUDA 2.0.

I bet you have a version inbetween those two.

As an aside, you might simplify your functors and avoid the passing of useless arguments by using some temporary functor instantiation, like

template<typename Fex>

__global__ void bob()

{

struct bog Joe;

struct bog *john;

john = &Joe;

john->bilbo = 0;

Fex()(john->bilbo);

}

int main (int argc, char * const argv[])

{

printf("Hello\n");

bob<Fex><<<1,1>>>();

return 0;

}

I use functors like this a lot. Static member functions are even more useful… the method name helps you document. And you can define as many methods as you like, forming a packaged suite of tools, not just one.

You can pick either method of calling:

Fex::myfunc()

Fex().myfunc()

Yep, 2.2. External Media

I just installed 2.3 on Mac OS X, and now, with the same code I posted originally, I’m getting the error: “/tmp/tmpxft_00001608_00000000-1_functortest2.cudafe1.stub.c:16: error: ‘MyBob’ is not a template type”

I’m using the command “nvcc functortest2.cu -arch=sm_13 -o test” to compile. Can you give details on how exactly you got it to compile under 2.3? (i.e. platform, command line command, etc)

Also, I think you mentioned the dummy variables bit before in another thread. It’s a very good idea and I’ll most likely use it in the future. For this program that I’m working on though (converting the LSODA stiff/non-stiff ODE solver to run on CUDA), I think it’s better to pass the dummy variables anyway, since it keeps the interface closer to the original fortran, and makes it a little bit easier to keep track of exactly what’s going on. So for the sake of easy reading, it’s more useful this way. At THIS time, anyway. :D In the future, once the conversion is functionally complete, and I start going back to clean it up and optimize it, I may sneak that version of things in.

Thanks much,

Paul