Building the Optix sample project

Hi, I’m having some trouble building the Optix samples project. Following the INSTALL-WIN.txt instructions provided in the SDK, step 7 where I have to build the solution returns the error “MSB6006 ‘cmd.exe’ exited with code 1” for every project in the solution. Delving into the detailed build output, this is the log surrounding each error:

Building NVCC ptx file lib/ptx/cuda_compile_ptx_generated_phong.cu.ptx
1> Failed to run C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/VC/bin (The system cannot find the file specified.
1>
1> ).
1> CMake Error at cuda_compile_ptx_generated_phong.cu.ptx.cmake:245 (message):
1> Error generating
1> E:/OptixAdvancedSamples/lib/ptx/cuda_compile_ptx_generated_phong.cu.ptx
1>
1>
1> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(171,5): error MSB6006: “cmd.exe” exited with code 1.

I am using Windows 7 with Visual Studio 2017 and Optix 4.1.0, CUDA 8.0.61, CMake 3.9.0-rc3. Any ideas of what could be causing this error?

CUDA 8.0 doesn’t support MSVS 2017.

OptiX 4.1.0, CUDA 8.0 and MSVS 2015 would be the newest supported combination under Windows.

Please have a look into the OptiX Release Notes on the OptiX download site for more information.

I’m having trouble building the Optix samples on CentOS7. I have all the required software installed (CUDA, “Development Tools”, gcc, cmake3) but am having no luck. The INSTALL-LINUX.txt instructions aren’t helpful because CentOS7 doesen’t have the cmake GUI, so I’m trying to do everything through command line cmake.

I have CUDA 9.2 and OptiX 5.1 installed on CentOS7.

If any does have CMake-GUI running on CentOS 7, please let me know how you did this. Otherwise… I still need to know how to build the samples from cmake CLI.

Thank you!!!