[cuBLASDx] no instance of overloaded function "__half::__half" matches the specified type

I am using the cuBLASDx library for the first time, and it seems that just putting in an include for it is enough to get a compilation error.

kernel = r"""
#include <cublasdx.hpp>
extern "C" __global__ void entry0() {
    return ;
}
"""
import cupy as cp

raw_module = cp.RawModule(code=kernel, backend='nvcc', options=("-std=c++20", "-I /home/mrakgr/nvidia-mathdx-24.01.0/nvidia/mathdx/24.01/include", "-I /home/mrakgr/nvidia-mathdx-24.01.0/nvidia/mathdx/24.01/include/cublasdx/include", "-I /home/mrakgr/nvidia-mathdx-24.01.0/nvidia/mathdx/24.01/external/cutlass/include"))
raw_module.get_function("entry0")((1, 1, 1),(1, 1, 1),())

I usually develop on Windows, but I installed the latest WSL-Ubuntu, Cuda Toolkit for WSL, and the CuPy library, along with a bunch of other things to try cuBLASDx out. I get the following error when I try to compile the above program by running the Python script.

mrakgr@Lain:~/The-Spiral-Language$  cd /home/mrakgr/The-Spiral-Language ; /usr/bin/env /bin/python3 /home/mrakgr/.vscode-server/extensions/ms-python.python-2023.22.1/pythonFiles/lib/python/debugpy/adapter/../../debugpy/launcher 53897 -- /home/mrakgr/The-Spiral-Language/Spiral\ Compilation\ Tests/cuda_experiments/wsl1/matmul.py 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/cuda/compiler.py", line 62, in _run_cc
    log = subprocess.check_output(cmd, cwd=cwd, env=env,
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/subprocess.py", line 421, in check_output
    return run(*popenargs, stdout=PIPE, timeout=timeout, check=True,
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/subprocess.py", line 526, in run
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, process.args,
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['/usr/local/cuda/bin/nvcc', '-gencode=arch=compute_89,code=sm_89', '--cubin', '-I/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/_core/include/cupy/_cccl/cub', '-I/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/_core/include/cupy/_cccl/thrust', '-I/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/_core/include/cupy/_cccl/libcudacxx', '-std=c++20', '-I /home/mrakgr/nvidia-mathdx-24.01.0/nvidia/mathdx/24.01/include', '-I /home/mrakgr/nvidia-mathdx-24.01.0/nvidia/mathdx/24.01/include/cublasdx/include', '-I /home/mrakgr/nvidia-mathdx-24.01.0/nvidia/mathdx/24.01/external/cutlass/include', '-I/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/_core/include', '-I/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/_core/include/cupy/_cuda/cuda-12', '-I/usr/local/cuda/include', '-ftz=true', '/tmp/tmpas35tqdi/4e7fbfa90d9fb26f409322085d5a6cfe9539b0b2.cu']' returned non-zero exit status 1.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/cuda/compiler.py", line 363, in compile_using_nvcc
    _run_cc(cmd, root_dir, 'nvcc', log_stream)
  File "/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/cuda/compiler.py", line 78, in _run_cc
    raise NVCCException(msg)
cupy.cuda.compiler.NVCCException: `nvcc` command returns non-zero exit status. 
command: ['/usr/local/cuda/bin/nvcc', '-gencode=arch=compute_89,code=sm_89', '--cubin', '-I/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/_core/include/cupy/_cccl/cub', '-I/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/_core/include/cupy/_cccl/thrust', '-I/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/_core/include/cupy/_cccl/libcudacxx', '-std=c++20', '-I /home/mrakgr/nvidia-mathdx-24.01.0/nvidia/mathdx/24.01/include', '-I /home/mrakgr/nvidia-mathdx-24.01.0/nvidia/mathdx/24.01/include/cublasdx/include', '-I /home/mrakgr/nvidia-mathdx-24.01.0/nvidia/mathdx/24.01/external/cutlass/include', '-I/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/_core/include', '-I/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/_core/include/cupy/_cuda/cuda-12', '-I/usr/local/cuda/include', '-ftz=true', '/tmp/tmpas35tqdi/4e7fbfa90d9fb26f409322085d5a6cfe9539b0b2.cu']
return-code: 1
stdout/stderr: 
/usr/local/cuda/include/cuda_bf16.hpp(260): error: no instance of overloaded function "__half::__half" matches the specified type
  __attribute__((host)) __attribute__((device)) __inline__ __attribute__((always_inline)) __half::__half(const __nv_bfloat16 f)
                                                                                                  ^

1 error detected in the compilation of "/tmp/tmpas35tqdi/4e7fbfa90d9fb26f409322085d5a6cfe9539b0b2.cu".

File "/home/mrakgr/The-Spiral-Language/Spiral Compilation Tests/cuda_experiments/wsl1/matmul.py", line 19, in <module>
    if __name__ == '__main__': print(main())
  File "/home/mrakgr/The-Spiral-Language/Spiral Compilation Tests/cuda_experiments/wsl1/matmul.py", line 15, in main
    raw_module.get_function(f"entry{v0}")((1, 1, 1),(1, 1, 1),())
  File "cupy/_core/raw.pyx", line 487, in cupy._core.raw.RawModule.get_function
  File "cupy/_core/raw.pyx", line 100, in cupy._core.raw.RawKernel.kernel.__get__
  File "cupy/_core/raw.pyx", line 117, in cupy._core.raw.RawKernel._kernel
  File "cupy/_util.pyx", line 64, in cupy._util.memoize.decorator.ret
  File "cupy/_core/raw.pyx", line 538, in cupy._core.raw._get_raw_module
  File "cupy/_core/core.pyx", line 2236, in cupy._core.core.compile_with_cache
  File "cupy/_core/core.pyx", line 2254, in cupy._core.core.compile_with_cache
  File "/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/cuda/compiler.py", line 484, in _compile_module_with_cache
    return _compile_with_cache_cuda(
  File "/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/cuda/compiler.py", line 577, in _compile_with_cache_cuda
    cubin = compile_using_nvcc(source, options, arch,
  File "/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/cuda/compiler.py", line 373, in compile_using_nvcc
    raise cex
cupy.cuda.compiler.CompileException: `nvcc` command returns non-zero exit status. 
command: ['/usr/local/cuda/bin/nvcc', '-gencode=arch=compute_89,code=sm_89', '--cubin', '-I/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/_core/include/cupy/_cccl/cub', '-I/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/_core/include/cupy/_cccl/thrust', '-I/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/_core/include/cupy/_cccl/libcudacxx', '-std=c++20', '-I /home/mrakgr/nvidia-mathdx-24.01.0/nvidia/mathdx/24.01/include', '-I /home/mrakgr/nvidia-mathdx-24.01.0/nvidia/mathdx/24.01/include/cublasdx/include', '-I /home/mrakgr/nvidia-mathdx-24.01.0/nvidia/mathdx/24.01/external/cutlass/include', '-I/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/_core/include', '-I/home/mrakgr/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cupy/_core/include/cupy/_cuda/cuda-12', '-I/usr/local/cuda/include', '-ftz=true', '/tmp/tmpas35tqdi/4e7fbfa90d9fb26f409322085d5a6cfe9539b0b2.cu']
stdout/stderr: 
/usr/local/cuda/include/cuda_bf16.hpp(260): error: no instance of overloaded function "__half::__half" matches the specified type
  __attribute__((host)) __attribute__((device)) __inline__ __attribute__((always_inline)) __half::__half(const __nv_bfloat16 f)
                                                                                                  ^

1 error detected in the compilation of "/tmp/tmpas35tqdi/4e7fbfa90d9fb26f409322085d5a6cfe9539b0b2.cu".

Ignore the Python code in the following segment. It seems like it’s possible to trigger the error by just pasting in #include <mma.h>. I am trying to figure out why this is happening.

import cupy as cp

# Compile a sample kernel and get the number of registers per thread
kernel_code = '''
#include <mma.h>
extern "C" __global__ void mykernel() {
}
'''
module = cp.RawModule(code=kernel_code, backend='nvcc')
kernel = module.get_function('mykernel')
PS D:\Users\Marko\Source\Repos\The Spiral Language\Spiral Compilation Tests>  d:; cd 'd:\Users\Marko\Source\Repos\The Spiral Language\Spiral Compilation Tests'; & 'C:\Users\mrakg\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\python.exe' 'c:\Users\mrakg\.vscode\extensions\ms-python.python-2023.22.1\pythonFiles\lib\python\debugpy\adapter/../..\debugpy\launcher' '53369' '--' 'D:\Users\Marko\Source\Repos\The Spiral Language\Spiral Compilation Tests\cuda_experiments\tensor1\bug_mma.py' 
  File "C:\Users\mrakg\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\Lib\site-packages\cupy\cuda\compiler.py", line 64, in _run_cc
    log = subprocess.check_output(cmd, cwd=cwd, env=env,
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\mrakg\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\Lib\subprocess.py", line 466, in check_output
    return run(*popenargs, stdout=PIPE, timeout=timeout, check=True,
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\mrakg\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\Lib\subprocess.py", line 571, in run
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, process.args,
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['C:\\Program', 'Files\\NVIDIA', 'GPU', 'Computing', 'Toolkit\\CUDA\\v12.2\\bin\\nvcc.EXE', '-gencode=arch=compute_89,code=sm_89', '--cubin', '-IC:\\Users\\mrakg\\AppData\\Local\\Programs\\Python\\Python311\\Lib\\site-packages\\cupy\\_core\\include', '-IC:\\Users\\mrakg\\AppData\\Local\\Programs\\Python\\Python311\\Lib\\site-packages\\cupy\\_core\\include\\cupy\\_cuda\\cuda-12', '-IC:\\Program Files\\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\\CUDA\\v12.2\\include', '-ftz=true', 'C:\\Users\\mrakg\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\tmpm_245rd7\\593e5208b6dbcbb7fe307af391870a2ea61f308d.cu']' returned non-zero exit status 1.

File "C:\Users\mrakg\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\Lib\site-packages\cupy\cuda\compiler.py", line 366, in compile_using_nvcc
    _run_cc(cmd, root_dir, 'nvcc', log_stream)
  File "C:\Users\mrakg\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\Lib\site-packages\cupy\cuda\compiler.py", line 80, in _run_cc
    raise NVCCException(msg)
cupy.cuda.compiler.NVCCException: `nvcc` command returns non-zero exit status.
command: ['C:\\Program', 'Files\\NVIDIA', 'GPU', 'Computing', 'Toolkit\\CUDA\\v12.2\\bin\\nvcc.EXE', '-gencode=arch=compute_89,code=sm_89', '--cubin', '-IC:\\Users\\mrakg\\AppData\\Local\\Programs\\Python\\Python311\\Lib\\site-packages\\cupy\\_core\\include', '-IC:\\Users\\mrakg\\AppData\\Local\\Programs\\Python\\Python311\\Lib\\site-packages\\cupy\\_core\\include\\cupy\\_cuda\\cuda-12', '-IC:\\Program Files\\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\\CUDA\\v12.2\\include', '-ftz=true', 'C:\\Users\\mrakg\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\tmpm_245rd7\\593e5208b6dbcbb7fe307af391870a2ea61f308d.cu']
stdout/stderr:
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v12.2\include\cuda_bf16.hpp(575): error: no instance of overloaded function "__half::__half" matches the specified type
  __declspec(__host__) __declspec(__device__) __forceinline __half::__half(const __nv_bfloat16 f)
                                                                    ^

1 error detected in the compilation of "C:/Users/mrakg/AppData/Local/Temp/tmpm_245rd7/593e5208b6dbcbb7fe307af391870a2ea61f308d.cu".
593e5208b6dbcbb7fe307af391870a2ea61f308d.cu

File "D:\Users\Marko\Source\Repos\The Spiral Language\Spiral Compilation Tests\cuda_experiments\tensor1\bug_mma.py", line 10, in <module>
    kernel = module.get_function('mykernel')
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "cupy\_core\raw.pyx", line 485, in cupy._core.raw.RawModule.get_function
  File "cupy\_core\raw.pyx", line 96, in cupy._core.raw.RawKernel.kernel.__get__
  File "cupy\_core\raw.pyx", line 113, in cupy._core.raw.RawKernel._kernel
  File "cupy\_util.pyx", line 64, in cupy._util.memoize.decorator.ret
  File "cupy\_core\raw.pyx", line 536, in cupy._core.raw._get_raw_module
  File "cupy\_core\core.pyx", line 2188, in cupy._core.core.compile_with_cache
  File "cupy\_core\core.pyx", line 2251, in cupy._core.core.compile_with_cache
  File "C:\Users\mrakg\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\Lib\site-packages\cupy\cuda\compiler.py", line 496, in _compile_module_with_cache
    return _compile_with_cache_cuda(
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\mrakg\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\Lib\site-packages\cupy\cuda\compiler.py", line 589, in _compile_with_cache_cuda
    cubin = compile_using_nvcc(source, options, arch,
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\mrakg\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\Lib\site-packages\cupy\cuda\compiler.py", line 376, in compile_using_nvcc
    raise cex
cupy.cuda.compiler.CompileException: `nvcc` command returns non-zero exit status.
command: ['C:\\Program', 'Files\\NVIDIA', 'GPU', 'Computing', 'Toolkit\\CUDA\\v12.2\\bin\\nvcc.EXE', '-gencode=arch=compute_89,code=sm_89', '--cubin', '-IC:\\Users\\mrakg\\AppData\\Local\\Programs\\Python\\Python311\\Lib\\site-packages\\cupy\\_core\\include', '-IC:\\Users\\mrakg\\AppData\\Local\\Programs\\Python\\Python311\\Lib\\site-packages\\cupy\\_core\\include\\cupy\\_cuda\\cuda-12', '-IC:\\Program Files\\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\\CUDA\\v12.2\\include', '-ftz=true', 'C:\\Users\\mrakg\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\tmpm_245rd7\\593e5208b6dbcbb7fe307af391870a2ea61f308d.cu']
stdout/stderr:
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v12.2\include\cuda_bf16.hpp(575): error: no instance of overloaded function "__half::__half" matches the specified type
  __declspec(__host__) __declspec(__device__) __forceinline __half::__half(const __nv_bfloat16 f)
                                                                    ^

1 error detected in the compilation of "C:/Users/mrakg/AppData/Local/Temp/tmpm_245rd7/593e5208b6dbcbb7fe307af391870a2ea61f308d.cu".
593e5208b6dbcbb7fe307af391870a2ea61f308d.cu

This is a CuPy error. See: Error when including mma.h: instance of overloaded function “__half::__half” matches the specified type · Issue #8146 · cupy/cupy (github.com)