Cuda 2.3 on Vista 64-bit

Hi folks,

My Platform ;

-Vista 64bit Ultimate
-Intel QuadCore 2.6Ghz
-4gb 1200mhz Kingston DDR3 Ram
-NVidia 8800GT
-cudadriver_2.3_winvista_64_190.38_general (installed)
-cudasdk_2.3_win_64 (installed)
-cudatoolkit_2.3_win_64.exe (installed)
-Visual Studio 8 ,and 9 (installed)

My Problem ;

At first when I typed “nvcc test.cu” it couldn’t find cl.exe so I edited nvcc.profile and added the path there.I couldn’t get it working so I event copied whole content of C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin to nvcc’s existing folder but no luck again.

C:\CUDA\bin>nvcc ma.cu
nvcc fatal : nvcc cannot find a supported cl version. Only MSVC 8.0 and MSVC 9
.0 are supported

After that I tried to pass ;

C:\CUDA\bin>nvcc --compiler-bindir “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Stud
io 9.0\VC\bin” -c -D_DEBUG -DWIN64 -D_CONSOLE -D_MBCS -Xcompiler /EHsc,/W3,/nolo
go,/Wp64,/Od,/Zi,/MTd-I “C:\Users\shep\AppData\local\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA C
UDA SDK\common\inc” -I./ -o BlackScholes.exe BlackScholes.cu

resulting in this ;

nvcc fatal : A single input file is required for a non-link phase when an outp
utfile is specified

Ok, so for nothing special it’s all disgussed here (however I can’t still get it working External Image ).

But the thing is when I open NVIDIA GPU Computing SDK Browser and run examples it works perfectly.I modify the codes and run through SDK Browser without a problem.Finally I concluded that there is nothing wrong with the system and tools installed and there is nothing wrong with the nvcc.I read posts about running from Windows SDK’s 64-bit cmd prompt but again no luck with that.

If the SDK browser can run examples, I must be able to run them too! External Image

Any suggestions ?

The cl.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin is a 32 bit compiler.

The cl.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64 is a cross platform compiler which could be used to compile for 64 bit but is rejected by nvcc

The cl.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\amd64 is the one we want but nvcc rejects it.

Currently I can not find a way around this bug un nvcc which [from reading the forums] has been around for a very long time

Same issue here… Any updates? Has anyone found any workaround/solution?

Hi teju,

I installed VS 2008 Professional, CUDA 2.3 toolkits, 2.3 device drivers and CUDA SDK 2.3 on Windows 7 64 bit with Quadro FX 770m. I have no probelm to compile .cu and run its exe. Download tha zip file and put into in a folder “matMul_s” located at “C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GPU Computing SDK\C\src\MatMul_s”; I assume VS2008 and CUDA 2.3 toolkit and SDK are installed in default location as I did.
In a command prompt:

1. make sure c:\cuda\bin64 is in your system path; (It should be if you installed cuda 2.3 toolkit properly);
  2. go to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\amd64”; run “vcvarsamd64.bat” which will set up your proper environment variables for your 64 bit VC;
  3. go to your project file folder, type compil_s.bat or try:
    nvcc -ccbin “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin” -o matMul.exe matMul.cu -IC:\cuda\include -I…..\common\inc -L…..\common\lib -LC:\cuda\lib64 -lcufft -lcudart -lcutil64

it should compile and link and create output matMul.exe for matMul.cu.

steve
vcvarsamd64.bat.txt (2.03 KB)
MatMul_s.zip (201 KB)

Hi Steve,
Thanks a lot! I followed your instructions and now I’m able to compile my source files for 64b. :)

Hi Steve

I did exactly as you suggested, my problem is that my prompt tells me this after i executed compile_s.bat:

The Order “cl” was either written wrong or could not be found

what should i do?

Regards

maz

EDIT: It seems like VS2008 is compiling by default only in 32 bit mode, thats why it cannot find the 64 bit version of cl.exe
If i managed to get my VS 2008 working with 64bit compiler , and the problem still persists ill ask again here

thanks