I was able to reproduce the issue. I did a fresh install of CUDA 9.2.148 on Win2012 R2 Standard w/GUI with a Quadro K5000 (kepler family).
Working from powershell console on the server, with a display attached to the Quadro card, driver 398.75 appears to be installed correctly and nvidia-smi reports 398.75 and K5000 correctly.
However cuda sample apps return unknown error as already indicated.
When I switch to a maxwell family card, the errors go away and the setup behaves normally.
I’ve filed an internal bug but don’t have any more details/information than that.
If you need a short-term fix, I suggest either:
- Reverting to CUDA 9.0 or 9.1 and the 392.00 driver that is currently available at www.nvidia.com/drivers
- switch your GPU from a kepler to maxwell/pascal, etc.
(Yes, I acknowledge you’ve already stated that CUDA 9.0/9.1 also don’t work. I haven’t tested my suggestion above, but if your statement is based on testing 9.0/9.1 with 398.75, it seems reasonable it may not work. If you’ve already tested 9.0/9.1 with the current public driver for Quadro for this OS - 392.00, then disregard my suggestion 1 and I refer you to my suggestion 2.)