CUDA install freezes/locks up PC with GTX 650

Hello,

I’ve got a system running on the following components:
Intel i7 4770k
Gigabyte Z87M-D3H
3x4GB Kingston Hyperx 1600 Mhz
ASUS Nvidia GTX 650

I’ve had a major problem with random freezes/lockups with this computer, but was never able to replicate them reliably.
More recently, when I needed to install the CUDA driver I’ve experienced this sort of lockup/freeze reliably during the install. Right after the installer reaches “Installing Graphics Driver” I receive the dialog box from Windows security asking for permission to install the drivers. If I allow it to install, my screen goes blank, I hear the typical Windows sound when a device(usually USB) is unplugged, the screen comes back for a few seconds, goes off and then the PC locks up and I have to hit the reset button or power it off.
If I don’t allow it to install, my screen also goes off, I hear a device being removed, and after a few more seconds I hear it being recognised again and my screen comes back on.

I really need to install CUDA, but I don’t know if this is indicative of a hardware or software issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS for your Gigabyte motherboard.
Then see if you can selectively remove or swap components until the problem goes away. You don’t mention the power supply, but you probably want at least a 650W unit for that rig.