CUDA Video Decoder problem

Hi

Trying to parse and decode H.264 content using the CUDA Video Decoder API fails.

Have tried it using the cudaDecodeD3D9 from CUDA Code Samples.

With a .mp4 source file containing H.264 content the call to cuvidCreateVideoSource fails with CUDA_ERROR_INVALID_SOURCE. With other source files cuvidCreateVideoSource succeds but decoding fails (display has been enabled). MPEG2 content decodes ok.
The .mp4 files play fine using Quicktime and VLC.

What H.264 formats/profiles/encapsulations does the CUDA Video Decoder API support? Can anybody point to H.264 content that actually decodes using the cudaDecodeD3D9 sample?

I’m running
CUDA TOOLKIT 2.3
CUDA SDK 2.3
GTX 285 driver version 6.14.11.9062
Windows XP

Thanks
Henrik

Hi! I’m having the same issue with the opengl decode example. I just downloaded the latest SDK to be sure I had all the proper updates. Did you have any luck?

I’m running

CUDA TOOLKIT 2.3

CUDA SDK 2.3

GTS 8800 as device 0

GT 9600 as device 1 (note, I updated the sdk to use this device since it supports cuda 1.1 unlike my older 8800 which is only cuda 1.0)

Windows 7

Hey,

Just so you know, I’m having a similar issue with the opengl sdk example with .mp4/H.264. Do we even need to use the VideoSource class? I’d like to pump things to be decoded from a memory buffer instead.

Hey Henrik,

I had the same problem as you had. First of all, i couldn’t get the output the film by using the sample code "CUDA Video Decoder GL API "

after setting “g_bUseDisplay = true”, i got the normal output. Then i tried to play H.264 in the mp4 container, i got the same problem.

The way i fix it was i installed the lastest nvidia driver “196.21_desktop_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe” and it’s done.

Actually i dont exactly know the reason but it works now. so maybe you can give it a try.

my environment is Windows XP, GTX 260

Good luck

Chris

I succeed to use the cudaDecodeD3D9 sample to decode h.264 bitstream.

you must use the raw h.264 bitstream, not the bitstream with encapsulations.

If you use the raw h.264 bitstream,but still failed.

Make sure the bitstream start with sps,not the other data.

I succeed to use the cudaDecodeD3D9 sample to decode h.264 bitstream.
you must use the raw h.264 bitstream, not the bitstream with encapsulations.
If you use the raw h.264 bitstream,but still failed.
Make sure the bitstream start with sps,not the other data.

Any idea if TESLA C1060 has this hardware decoding ability?

All GPUs (Tesla or GeForce) that are SM 1.1+ should have this capability

All GPUs (Tesla or GeForce) that are SM 1.1+ should have this capability

Hi, guys,

I have been told to develop some software to decode H.264 from an IP/camera, has any of you some idea of how to even start this? i dont have any idea about image or video processing, i am looking at this example codes that you mention i they seem a bit complicated, could you make a resume on the steps to use this code and the main functions i have to look for? like…
1st - Create a VideoDecoder objet and initialize it…
2nd…
3rd…

I am quite lost at the present time…

thank you a lot anyways!

Hi, guys,

I have been told to develop some software to decode H.264 from an IP/camera, has any of you some idea of how to even start this? i dont have any idea about image or video processing, i am looking at this example codes that you mention i they seem a bit complicated, could you make a resume on the steps to use this code and the main functions i have to look for? like…
1st - Create a VideoDecoder objet and initialize it…
2nd…
3rd…

I am quite lost at the present time…

thank you a lot anyways!