Debian 9 trying to compile xmr-stak I need cuda 8 gtx 550 card

Depends: cuda-8-0 (>= 8.0.61) but it is not going to be installed

i am stuck I have tried the run file I spent way to much time with version 9 to find out my card is too old and that I need to use version 8 so i have been trying this.

i started with the version 9 run file I ran it and found the only way to install it was to accept yes and install drivers for video then no to everything
then run again and no to drivers then yes to everything . But I get failed
and the logs do not seem to give much info or I am looking in the wrong place.

apt-get install cuda=8.0.61-1

Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
cuda : Depends: cuda-8-0 (>= 8.0.61) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

i attempted to install with the deb local

apt-cache madison cuda
cuda | 9.1.85-1 | http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1604/x86_64 Packages
cuda | 9.0.176-1 | http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1604/x86_64 Packages
cuda | 8.0.61-1 | file:/var/cuda-repo-8-0-local-ga2 Packages
cuda | 8.0.61-1 | http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1604/x86_64 Packages
cuda | 8.0.44-1 | http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1604/x86_64 Packages
root@debian:/home/enduser/miner# apt-get install cuda=8.0.61-1

uname -r

4.9.0-4-amd64

lspci

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF116 [GeForce GTX 550 Ti] (rev a1)

I know this is not the place but for reference my error was when I got to the %70 mark and it stopped on this error. but this was with cuda v9 and after trying all sorts of tries I researched out and found I need to be run v8 due to my older card

root@debian:/home/enduser/miner/xmr-stak# cmake . -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -OpenCL_ENABLE=OFF -DXMR-STAK_CURRENCY=monero -DXMR-STAK_COMPILE=native -DCPU_ENABLE=OFF -DHWLOC_ENABLE=OFF -DCUDA_ENABLE=ON -DCUDA_ARCH=20 -DXMR-STAK_LARGEGRID=OFF -DXMR-STAK_THREADS=46
– The C compiler identification is GNU 6.3.0
– The CXX compiler identification is GNU 6.3.0
– Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
– Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc – works
– Detecting C compiler ABI info
– Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
– Detecting C compile features
– Detecting C compile features - done
– Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
– Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ – works
– Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
– Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
– Detecting CXX compile features
– Detecting CXX compile features - done
– Set miner currency to ‘monero’
– Looking for pthread.h
– Looking for pthread.h - found
– Looking for pthread_create
– Looking for pthread_create - not found
– Looking for pthread_create in pthreads
– Looking for pthread_create in pthreads - not found
– Looking for pthread_create in pthread
– Looking for pthread_create in pthread - found
– Found Threads: TRUE
– Found CUDA: /usr/local/cuda (found suitable version “9.1”, minimum required is “7.5”)
– xmr-stak-nvidia: set max threads per block to 46
– Looking for CL_VERSION_2_0
– Looking for CL_VERSION_2_0 - found
– Found OpenCL: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libOpenCL.so (found version “2.0”)
– Found OpenSSL: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so (found version “1.1.0f”)
– Configuring done
– Generating done
– Build files have been written to: /home/enduser/miner/xmr-stak
root@debian:/home/enduser/miner/xmr-stak# make
Scanning dependencies of target xmr-stak-c
[ 2%] Building C object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-c.dir/xmrstak/backend/cpu/crypto/c_blake256.c.o
[ 5%] Building C object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-c.dir/xmrstak/backend/cpu/crypto/c_groestl.c.o
[ 8%] Building C object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-c.dir/xmrstak/backend/cpu/crypto/c_jh.c.o
[ 11%] Building C object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-c.dir/xmrstak/backend/cpu/crypto/c_keccak.c.o
[ 14%] Building C object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-c.dir/xmrstak/backend/cpu/crypto/c_skein.c.o
[ 17%] Linking C static library bin/libxmr-stak-c.a
[ 17%] Built target xmr-stak-c
Scanning dependencies of target xmr-stak-backend
[ 20%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-backend.dir/xmrstak/jconf.cpp.o
[ 23%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-backend.dir/xmrstak/version.cpp.o
[ 26%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-backend.dir/xmrstak/backend/cpu/hwlocMemory.cpp.o
[ 29%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-backend.dir/xmrstak/backend/cpu/jconf.cpp.o
[ 32%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-backend.dir/xmrstak/backend/cpu/minethd.cpp.o
[ 35%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-backend.dir/xmrstak/backend/backendConnector.cpp.o
[ 38%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-backend.dir/xmrstak/backend/globalStates.cpp.o
[ 41%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-backend.dir/xmrstak/backend/cpu/crypto/cryptonight_common.cpp.o
[ 44%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-backend.dir/xmrstak/http/httpd.cpp.o
[ 47%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-backend.dir/xmrstak/http/webdesign.cpp.o
[ 50%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-backend.dir/xmrstak/misc/console.cpp.o
[ 52%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-backend.dir/xmrstak/misc/executor.cpp.o
[ 55%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-backend.dir/xmrstak/misc/telemetry.cpp.o
[ 58%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-backend.dir/xmrstak/misc/utility.cpp.o
[ 61%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-backend.dir/xmrstak/net/jpsock.cpp.o
[ 64%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/xmr-stak-backend.dir/xmrstak/net/socket.cpp.o
[ 67%] Linking CXX static library bin/libxmr-stak-backend.a
[ 67%] Built target xmr-stak-backend

[ 70%] Building NVCC (Device) object CMakeFiles/xmrstak_cuda_backend.dir/xmrstak/backend/nvidia/nvcc_code/xmrstak_cuda_backend_generated_cuda_extra.cu.o
nvcc fatal : Unsupported gpu architecture ‘compute_20’

note I also attempted to uninstall the run versions of everything I ran 9 and 8 and the upgrade patch
using the

./cuda_8.0.61_375.26_linux-run --uninstall -silent

./cuda_8.0.61.2_linux-run --uninstall -silent

./cuda_9.1.85_387.26_linux --uninstall -silent

but before I did this I did rm -r /usr/local/cuda-8.0 and the syboliclink of /usr/local/cuda and the v9 dir also

not sure if that messed anything up. I am reading the docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-installation-guide-linux/index.html#handle-uninstallation looks like I might have to install again and run these uninstall files.

when i ran 8 I did not del or remove 9 first. I might have files where they should not be. but when I tried to compile stak it was telling me the directory /usr/local/cuda-8.0 did not have a version.txt file.

If you started with a runfile install (any runfile) then you’re not going to be easily able to switch to .deb (package manager) install.

Read the linux install guide.
If possible, start over with a clean install of the OS, then install CUDA 8.

Otherwise follow the instructions in the linux install guide to “handle conflicting install methods” and do all the steps needed to clean out your old runfile install and your old package manager install.

You should never just switch from runfile install to package manager install or vice versa, without doing a full cleanup.

And BTW Debian 9 is not a supported configuration for CUDA.

I will reload and try again.

I am hoping I can get it to run in debian 9. i like everything to be netinstalled (bare minimum) easier to maintain something you know what ever package is.