Display port over USB-C with docking station - only one display works even two displays are recognized

@fhortner you asked, I answered. I don’t complain to you about it (I don’t know you and I don’t care about you). It is Nvidia forum. They should care about their customers. But they obviously don’t. It is 21st century and writing drivers with the resources that this company posses should be as simple as buying groceries. And please stop accusing me of aggression as I’m not aggressive - I’m only pissed at Nvidia that for the money I paid for their hardware they don’t deliver proper drivers. Shocking!

sleep/suspend less of an issue. When I next get a reboot update, I’ll try a newer kernel.

I am not a fan of a random walk reboot cycle, too many other things to break!!

NVIDIA, do we have an actual cause for this problem that we can know is fixed in the driver, not a specific kernel?

We have filed a bug 200745843 internally for tracking purpose.

I tried duplicating issue on few setups locally with Dell Docking station ( WD 15 K17 A) and used 4k monitors Dell U2715Hc and UP3214Qt using DP port via dock but no luck so far.

I will look for i-tec dock or Thinkpad Thunderbolt Dock Gen2 and reattempt to duplicate issue very soon.

Does having modeset on still freeze if there are no monitors plugged in? It does for me and a few other people.

I had the same screen corruption and fixed the screen corruption by adding a DP → HDMI adapter only for linux, which forces the linux driver to stay at 24bits and not 30bits.
Unfortunately I haven’t received any response from NVIDIA after sending bugreport per mail (01.06.2021) - it is just a dark hole.
In the end, the culprit was the docking station not able to keep up with 30bit Colordepth (which was shown by Monitor’s OSD).
In Windows no screen corruption, there 24bit depth is used.

Askubuntu Question:

My artifacts on 2x4k 42’ screens:

Anyway, I have couple more reliability problems with NVIDIA - especially daily docking/undocking from between HomeOffice<->Workplace.
I posted bugs at freedesktop, and according to X11 Maintainers definitely NVIDIA problem: See

Anyway, at least I am happy, that it works “somehow” :-(

Can someone please try with latest released driver 470.57.02.

Can someone please try with latest released driver 470.57.02.

Yo @amrits

I will try it today at ~ 11PM UTC time, but on a different computer (lenovo legion 5-15, ryzen 5800h, rtx3060) with a different i-tec docking station, nonetheless the same displays and let you know.

@amrits I’m sorry, but I can’t provide you any info because they gave me a docking station with DISPLAY LINK !!! Argghh!! So I can’t compare apples to apples - because my current setup is:

1. Legion 5 with ryzen 5800h, rtx3060
  2. docking station i-tec catriple4kdockpd https://i-tec.pro/en/produkt/catriple4kdockpd-2/
  3. Two Dells as in the first post.

Due to the fact that I was given this crappy docking station which uses display link the displays are not even visible in Fedora 34 (because DisplayLink requires separate drivers). So fail. I installed Ubuntu 20.04.
Under Ubuntu (20.04 after instanlling has 470.52.02 nvidia drivers and the displaylink drivers), the displays are recognized and you can see the wallpaper, but when I try to reorganize the displays (you know set the one on left to be on right and change e.g. refresh rate) after clicking Apply in Gnome-Settings, it just hangs and hard reset is needed.

I’m waiting for a docking station without this display link stuff and I ordered a usb-c to DP cable adapter as well (maybe connection without the docking station but through HDMI and that cable will suffice somehow).

Aaa - very important thing.
It works in Windows by default (no action on my side needed). Those guys there working on Windows are just darn lucky!

I will try to provide more info when I receive the docking station - maybe somebody in the meantime can help?

Resume from Suspend (ACPI S3 mode to be precise) doesn’t work. Anyone experienced this as well?

To be precise the laptop resumes, but the screen is blank - like turned off.

Wow, the resume after suspend (from ACPI S3) works when the dedicated mode is off - even though the Nvidia driver is loaded. That’s strange - because when I switch to dedicated mode in BIOS, it doesn’t work (the display is like turned off even though the computer is running)

Hi gietki,
Regarding original issue initiated in this thread, we are not able to duplicate issue so far.
Tried on below configuration setup a day ago but no luck.

Thinkpad Thunderbolt Dock Gen2 + Lenovo Thinkpad P15 + Ubuntu 20.04 + 2 x 4K monitors - Samsung LS28AG700N.

@amrits yo man!

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce fully the initial situation that was described in this thread, because I have a different laptop now and different docking station.

BUT THERE’S A PROGRESS!!

My current setup is:

1. Lenovo Legion 5 with RTX3060,
  2. Two dell displays (same as the inital)
  3. NO DOCKING station - because the one with DisplayLink just doesn’t work in all of the distros I tested (Fedora34, Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 21.04).

But having HDMI and USB-C with DP ports, I connected the two displays over those ports(one HDMI cable and one USB-C to DP converter “Silver Monekey” is the brand name) and it works BEAUTIFULLY under Ubuntu 21.04 (kernel 5.11.0.31-generic #33 Ubuntu SMP).
Driver version is : 470.57.02 (installed via Ubuntu software updater)

I tried the above setup with Fedora 34 and Ubuntu 20.04 but it doesn’t work (I don’t know why, haven’t had time to analyze it).

I’m aiming to connect the displays via a docking station (but a one without DisplayLInk technology - the one which was described in the initial message in this thread) but I’m waiting for the delivery from Czech Republic.

The one thing that just bothers me for now (apart from not having the docking station to test) is that when I go into UEFI and change the Graphic Card mode from “Dynamic” (which is probably how Lenovo calls Optimus technology) to “Discrete” - which is only having RTX to work (not the AMD Renoir GPU) the resume action doesn’t work - because the screen in laptop doesn’t turn on (but the external display does - so that’s strange).

All in all I can see that there’s a progress because I tried similar setup (hdmi + usb-c to DP converter) with previous drivers and all the distros mentioned (Fedora34, ubutnu) with newer/older kernels at that time and it did not work properly. (You can see the picture from 29th May in this thread above)

Here’s a picture for all you lads who are still fighting the issue (and btw. when I open the lid of the legion laptop it works as well just with a third screen):

@amrits so yea, thank you!

Hi gietki,
Thanks for the feedback.
I tested with suspend-resume cycles as well but I have no repro.
I also switched to Fedora 34 to match the kernel and GNOME versions without repro.
Please share newer bug report with 470 drivers.

Hi @amrits

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I cannot switch over to Fedora 34 (i’d need to format the disk) or anything else at the moment, because this is my production set (I work on it). So I will stick to the Ubuntu (instead of Fedora) for now.

There are two issues though:

1. First thing missing here is that I cannot make it resume from suspend when I’m in “discrete mode”. It only works when both GPUs are turned on in the UEFI.
  2. The other factor is that I’m still waiting for the i-tec docking station (the one without the DisplayLink technology). (it is still on its journey from Czech Republic).

When I receive the docking station I will let you know if it works.

BTW. can you please share what setup have you got? (because Lenovo Thinkpad P15 has many configurations, I assume you have Intel CPU). I’m amazed that it works for you under Fedora 34 out of the box.

Best,

Hi @amrits
Bad news. The docking station won’t be available until 15th of September. All I can do for now is to provide bug report log from the resume from suspend in “dedicated mode”. I see that there are several topics in this forum about it as well.

Best,

sure, that will really help us.

@gietki.social
Please share bug report log from the resume from suspend in “dedicated mode”.
Also let us know if you were able to receive docking station and tried for repro with latest driver release ?