Downloading the community version of the PGI compiler suite as of October 2020

Where and how can I download the community edition
of the PGI Compilers as of Oct. 2020. All I can find
so far are the professional versions which require
an account and PIN and PIN code, most of which should
not be required for free 1 year community edition, if such
still exists.

The PGI Compiler was rebranded to be the NVIDIA HPC Compiler and packaged as part of the NVIDIA HPC SDK (https://developer.nvidia.com/hpc-sdk). The NVHPC SDK is available at no-cost (NVIDIA HPC SDK Current Release Downloads | NVIDIA Developer).

Dear MatColgrove,
Once we’ve installed the NVHPC SDK, which is the equivalent tool for the former pgi community edition compiler?

Thanks

The PGI compiler drivers are still there for compatibility (we didn’t want to break makefiles) so you can still use them. But you should consider transitioning to the new compiler drivers.

pgcc => nvc
pgc++ => nvc++
pgfortran and pgf90 => nvfortran

-Mat

Many thanks.

When will the free version of the Nvidia software be available for Windows?

It is extremely poor service to remove the Community version of the PGI Fortran Compiler for Windows without having a replacement Nvidia version available immediately.

We’re working on the Windows ports of the compilers now and expect to ship sometime next year.

That is extremely unprofessional then - you should not remove a programme from availability when your “updated” programme is unable to replicate its functionality.

Having previously spent thousands of pounds on Nvidia graphics cards each time I purchase a new PC, I will no longer spend any money on your products. Your intransigence and incompetence has cost you a substantial sum of money.

Is there any indication when the Windows port will be shipped? Eg which quarter or month

Sorry. Since it’s in development we can’t give a specific dates when the Windows SDK will be available.

How’s the development going for the Windows SDK? Any estimate of release helps!

It’s in development but I still can’t give any estimated dates. I’ll try to remember to update this post once the Windows SDK is available, but if you’re not already, please sign-up for the NVIDIA Developer Newsletter which includes product announcements. See the “subscribe” button on the right side of https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/.

Any update on when the Windows compiler will be available?

My PGI Fortran 19.10 CE license has expired, I am now unable to compile any code on my Windows machine.
What alternative is there, other than waiting for the Nvidia release (which is taking almost 2 years now)?

Unfortunately it’s been delayed. Lost our key developer on this project due to pandemic related issues and still searching for a replacement.

What alternative is there,

We’ve seen more users being able to use WSL2 now that that CUDA drivers officially support it, See: 1. NVIDIA GPU Accelerated Computing on WSL 2 — CUDA on WSL 12.3 documentation

-Mat