Driver and OpenCL version matching

I just started to use openCL. On my PC I’ve an installed NVIDIA driver with openCl libraries in it.
The only missing point is to download the headers from Khronos. But which version of headers I should use?
How can I know which version is used by the driver I use?
I just want to avoid some linkink problem in the future and this is also very important if I want to use my appl on another PC.
Thanks, Tamas

Hi! I just find a demo code which prints all kind of useful information. The latest one uses 1.1.

Hi Tamas,

did you succeed in getting the environment set up and ready to rumble ?
Im asking cuz I spent (initially wasted) hours doing so.

In case ur crusade is in progress still: Better keep from trying to use the khronos provided headers. Just install the CUDA (yes, the “CUDA” !) SDK provided by nVidia to obtain the OpenCL headers. There is little support by nVidia - if not to say an apparent attempt to hide whatever OpenCL resources they have (which is not much afterall. Just as much as were required to be abel to state “yes! we support it”.). Probably in favor of their proprietary CUDA language - which is nice and performant but bottom line not portable to AMD / Intel Dual-,Quad-,Octa-Core CPUs or even GPUs by other Vendors.

→ Anyway, download and install the CUDA SDK.

→ CL headers will be located under, e.g.:
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v6.5\include\CL

→ Corresponding LIB files will be under, e.g.:
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v6.5\lib\Win32
or
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v6.5\lib\x64\

Hint: OpenCL 1.1 is heftily outdated. I’ve got a GTX550 Ti boasting some nice 3GB DDR3 RAM and wanted to make it start a second career as numbercruncher on machine learning data i have - and which is painfully slow to process on my host cpu. Since Im requiring at least OpenCL 1.2, Im subjected to nVidia’s mercy to finally make an announcement as to the release date of ->their<- 1.2 package, OR simply migrate to another vendor.
For some in a nutshell wrap up of differences 1.1 vs 1.2, look up:

Ive browsed various forums. Not much of concise info on nVidias pending OpenCL support release dates is to be found out there, but mere surmising.

If you wanna get started with OpenCL, better avoid some revision-based bottom up approach, initiating with 1.1 and working your way up to 2.0, for the revision changes dont just add to the functionality but significantly changed some along their path. See the differences link above.

Better get started with 1.2 at least.

Im considering an AMD R7 265. Mid Range vide card, opencl2.0, opengl4.3 and DX11.2 (12) compliant, 1024 streaming processors, 2GB GDDR5 RAM, available for less than 150EUR at amazon, and, most important: Massive amounts of OpenCL related material, white papers, tech briefs and app notes on AMDs website.
Am just waiting for some folks to maybe reply to my OpenCL release-updates related question in this forum before I’ll hit on “buy” at amazon :-)…