External SSD for Nano

Hi! I would like to ask, if it would be better to install OS for Nano on External SSD rather than sdcard. I have a one with USB 3.0 and I’m not using it. So Becomes the OS faster on SSD or will it be just more power-consuming?

Things are definitely faster but unfortunately, you can’t boot from a USB hard drive so you still need the sdcard for the initial; boot process.

See this article for why and how to get at least your root filesystem on to an external ssd.
https://www.jetsonhacks.com/2019/09/17/jetson-nano-run-from-usb-drive/

Does anybody know whether the behavior of mounting devices changed with L4T R32.3.1?
To be honest I’m quite a Linux novice and I have done the above mentioned method of jetsonhacks for R32.2.1 and R32.3.1.
And R32.3.1 behaves differently, as I would assume. With R32.3.1 I also managed to put the root filesystem to SSD. But in contrast to R32.2.1 the SSD is also visible in

/media/7d1c96df-3dd2-4844-a7c1-be0b6d20c55d

So, If I use find in root I get messages like this

find: File system loop detected; ‘/media/7d1c96df-3dd2-4844-a7c1-be0b6d20c55d’ is part of the same file system loop as ‘/’.

How can I fix this?

Yeah this is annoying and I never got around to finding a permanent fix but you can stop them from automounting with the following command…

$ sudo systemctl mask  $(systemd-escape media/<uuid>.automount)

Note, there’s no ‘/’ at the beginning of “media”.

Thanks a lot for your reply, it works