Windows 10 Enterprise
Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

NVIDIA Nsight Systems
2019.2.1.24-fa5362f Windows-x64

Driver Version: 418.96
CUDA Version: 10.1

Hardware info:
3x GeForce GTX 1080

I setup a test project in Nsight Systems to experiment with profiling. However, after clicking “start” I can see the test executable in Task Manager listed as suspended but the profiler never starts. Eventually Nsight Systems reports back the following errors:

Error occurred:

Failed to start profiler.

RuntimeError (120) {
RequestTimeoutError (906) {
ServiceName: AnalysisService
MethodName: Init
}
}

Error occurred:

Failed to start profiling session.

If this error persists, please restart the app and/or reboot the device.

Version information: NVIDIA Nsight Systems, 2019.2.1.24-fa5362f Windows-x64

Full error information:
StartAnalysisError (4105) {
RuntimeError (120) {
OriginalExceptionClass: class boost::exception_detail::clone_impl
OriginalFile: d:\tc\20a3cfcd1c25021d\quadd\host\analysis\clients\analysishelper\analysisstatus.cpp
OriginalLine: 80
OriginalFunction: class Nvidia::QuadD::Analysis::Data::AnalysisStatusInfo __cdecl QuadDAnalysis::AnalysisHelper::AnalysisStatus::MakeFromErrorString(enum Nvidia::QuadD::Analysis::Data::AnalysisStatus,enum Nvidia::QuadD::Analysis::Data::AnalysisErrorType::Type,const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits,class std::allocator > &,const class boost::intrusive_ptr &)
ErrorText: Failed to initialize analysis.
}
}

Profiling options:
DeviceId: “Local”
EventTypes {
}
RateHz: 1000
HowToStart: Immediate
HowToStop: Manual
DeviceType: Windows
DeviceDisplayName: “DESKTOP-F03PC6B”
Processes {
HowToAttach: LaunchAnother
Command: “”
WorkingDirectory: “”
UserName: “admin”
}

Does anyone have some advice on what I need to do to get the profiling working with my system?

Hi kburnett,

When Nsight Systems is launched it spawns a helper process named nsight-sys-agent. This brings up a Windows UAC prompt requesting your approval for elevated privileges. Did you click Yes when this prompt was displayed?

Also, please note that Nsight Systems 2019.2 supports profiling of a single GPU.

Doron

Doron,

Thanks for the reply.

After seeing your message I wrote a small C++ that made use of CUDA and was able to profile it correctly using Nsight Systems. My previous test project, that hangs when profiling, is a c# executable that calls a c++ dll so my guess is the issue is related to the c# code, although I haven’t done anymore work to verify.

Kevin

1 Like

Hi Doron,

I had a question about your response.
If Nsight systems does not support multiple GPU is there another way to profile multiple GPU?

Hi Greg118,

Use Nsight Graphics to profile a graphics application that uses multiple GPUs:
https://developer.nvidia.com/nsight-graphics-requirements

BTW, multi-GPU support is on our wishlist and may be added to Nsight Systems in the future.

Doron

Doron, Thank you for the reply.
I will check that out for graphics; however, I am usually doing compute work so it seems like I will need to stick with Nsight Visual Profiler. Which I have been using to see how tightly kernels, memcpy and events are running.

Greg