Fatal error C9999 with SPIR-V shader doing texelFetch from usampler2D (using newer glslangvalidator)

I’m currently encountering an issue similar to the one described in this thread, but the difference is that I’m actually using a usampler2D and not sampling directly from a texture.

Take this (quickly hacked together) shader for a debug display of a deferred renderer:

#version 450

#extension GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects : enable
#extension GL_ARB_shading_language_420pack : enable

layout (binding = 1) uniform sampler2D samplerPosition;
layout (binding = 2) uniform sampler2D samplerNormal;
layout (binding = 3) uniform usampler2D samplerAlbedo;

layout (location = 0) in vec3 inUV;

layout (location = 0) out vec4 outFragColor;

void main() 
{
	vec3 components[3];
	components[0] = texture(samplerPosition, inUV.st).rgb;  
	components[1] = texture(samplerNormal, inUV.st).rgb;  
	ivec2 texDim = textureSize(samplerAlbedo, 0);
	uvec4 albedo = texelFetch(samplerAlbedo, ivec2(inUV.st * texDim ), 0);

vec4 color;
	color.rg = unpackHalf2x16(albedo.r);
	color.ba = unpackHalf2x16(albedo.g);
	vec4 spec;
	spec.rg = unpackHalf2x16(albedo.b);

components[2] = vec3(spec.r);

// Select component depending on z coordinate of quad
	highp int index = int(inUV.z);
	outFragColor.rgb = components[index];
}

This compiles perfectly to SPIR-V using the latest glslangvalidator, but throws a driver validation error when loading that shader:

ERROR: [Driver] Code 2 : Fragment info
-------------
(0) : fatal error C9999: Can't convert to expr: texelFetch

Which is caused by line 20:

uvec4 albedo = texelFetch(samplerAlbedo, ivec2(inUV.st * texDim ), 0);

Observations

After digging around it seems that this may be caused by newer versions of the glslangvalidator generating wrong/different SPIR-V output.

As with the validation layers, I’m always building the glslangvalidator from current sources instead of using the one from the SDK.

Now if I switch back to the glslangvalidator from the SDK for generating the SPIR-V for that shader, everything works fine. No validation layer error, and I get to see what I expect (unpacked color components).

So this may be an issue related to the SPIR-V output of the glsl reference compiler.

I have uploaded the SPIR-V outputs generated by the different versions of the validator:

So if this is actually a bug caused by newer versions of the glslangvalidator generating wrong SPIR-V output I’d go on and report it at their repo.

Driver version is 368.51 on windows 10 (64-bit) with a GTX 980.