GeForce GTX 1660 Ti not working in Ubuntu 20.04

Hello,

I cannot install properly my GeForce GTX 1660 Ti in my OS Ubuntu 20.04. I installed all the possible drivers: 435, 440, 450… none of them seems to work. The system recognizes the GPU but no process is running on it. It is not a hardware problem because the GPU works fine in windows… This issue is really killing me… could you please provide help? Thanks in advance

nvidia-smi
Sun Aug 30 20:38:43 2020
±----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 440.95.01 Driver Version: 440.95.01 CUDA Version: 10.2 |
|-------------------------------±---------------------±---------------------+
| GPU Name Persistence-M| Bus-Id Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan Temp Perf Pwr:Usage/Cap| Memory-Usage | GPU-Util Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
| 0 GeForce GTX 166… Off | 00000000:01:00.0 Off | N/A |
| N/A 50C P0 8W / N/A | 0MiB / 5944MiB | 0% Default |
±------------------------------±---------------------±---------------------+

| Processes: GPU Memory |
| GPU PID Type Process name Usage |
|=============================================================================|
| No running processes found |

All Nvidia drivers have this problem and have had it for many years and this is because Nvidia refuses to support gbm which almost all open source window managers use. One of these window managers is Mir (the window manager for Ubuntu.

There are 5 options,

1. Switch to Windows (Not Recommended)
  2. Sell your Graphics Card and use the proceeds to buy a Radeon Graphics Card (Not Recommended because of the release of the RTX 30 series)
  3. Return your graphics card to the vendor and use the refund to buy a Radeon Graphics Card (Only if your graphics card was a recent purchase and was not second hand)
  4. Switch to ArchLinux and use non gbm Gnome (Only recommended if you can install ArchLinux and/or you have someone who can on hand)
  5. Use open source drivers (These are often bad and will result in a performance loss in games and some other issues might occure like fan speed increasing to 100% when the PC is sleeping)

Hi there,

thanks a lot for your answer. If it is like this, that is really a shame from Nvidia and should be advertised before. I did not get any technical support from Nvidia. Their answer was that they do not provide technical support for Linux users (wtf??) , so I guess that you are right in your answer. However I made it work on an external screen connected with HDMI. Obviously not the ideal solution. Anyway if somebody else reads it I would appreciate support.

I just really want to see AMD or some one getting into Graphic card industry.
Nvidia support is crap and their crappy drivers never work with ubuntu.

I finally managed to solve the issue:

1. Disable security boot in the BIOS

2. Update kernel

3. Uninstall all drivers related to the GPU and install them again

4)Add this to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf:

Option "PrimaryGPU" "yes"

And YES Nvidia customer service is CRAP, they never tried to help and claimed THEY DON’T GIVE SUPPORT IN LINUX XDDDDD

I cannot make it work using your settings. Which kernel do you use?

Any advice how to proceed?

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (749.0 KB) - logs attached