How to disable automatic driver updates from nvidia in windows 11

We ( our software ) are using a legacy driver ( 516.94 ) and we want to know how we can avoid windows 11 installing a new driver for our NVIDIA GPU cards ( geforce 1080 / 2060 / 3060 )

We have a lot of desktop computers in the world running with this GPU but we have the problem that somehow the driver is updated automatically everywhere.

Can you please help? We are also inception partner.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Hi there @Provispo and welcome to the NVIDIA developer forums.

Can you shed some light on why you do not want the driver to be upgraded?

In general it is highly recommended to use the latest driver for a given Hardware architecture. And for the GPUs you list it is the current 551 driver. New drivers are usually in all means backwards compatible and include bug as well as security fixes.

I addition to that, NVIDIA does not enforce automatic driver updates at all. If it happens, then it is part of your Windows update configuration. If you have Windows deployed by your IT department, it likely includes a rule to update GPU drivers as well. You will need to look there for settings to disable automatic updates.

Thanks!

Hi Markus,

I understand that it is highly recommended, but one of our applications can’t run with latest drivers.

We disabled all possible options in windows to install updates, but nvidia drivers will keep updated after a few days automatically somehow.

How can you help me with this?

Hi Markus,

I understand that it is highly recommended, but one of our applications can’t run with latest drivers.

We disabled all possible options in windows to install updates, but nvidia drivers will keep updated after a few days automatically somehow.

How can you help me with this?

The only option of automatic driver updates is, as I said, through IT managed update policies OR if you have enabled automatic driver updates from within for example GeForce Experience. Other than that there is no automatic driver update mechanism in NVIDIA drivers.

Hi Markus,

Thanks for your reply.

We are using this driver : https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/192967/en-us/

Nothing of the Geforce experience is installed.

I did a lot of changed in gpedit and regedit but none of them helps me to avoid the nvidia drivers to be updated.

Can we have another approach?

image001.jpg

I am sorry, but there is no other approach.

If you installed the GPU driver yourself, it will stay at that version until you manually install a new version.

Unintended GPU updates can only happen if your IT department controls version updates and enforces them without your knowledge.
Or if you have enabled Windows Update to always automatically install all security AND optional updates when available.

Those are the only two places where you could have automatic GPU driver updates.

NVIDIA drivers do not update by themselves.