Howto get Connectx-4 + UEFI + IB working with DHCP ?

Hi,

we have a UEFI server with a dual port ConnectX-4 HCA (MT_2170111021) set to IB and would like to try booting via PXE. The server does write to the console indicating it’s trying to do PXE, but there’s is no indication whatsoever of any DHCP request, neither on the console nor on the network nor on the DHCP-server.

DHCP works flawlessly once the server has booted (from disk) and configures the interfaces.

We have other servers with older, non-UEFI flexboot roms, and they also work, so it’s not a network problem.

In my humble opinion, all the necessary settings are there:

UEFI_HII_EN True(1)

LEGACY_BOOT_PROTOCOL PXE(1)

EXP_ROM_UEFI_ARM_ENABLE False(0)

EXP_ROM_UEFI_x86_ENABLE True(1)

EXP_ROM_PXE_ENABLE True(1)

Firmware is 12.28.2006 with UEFI 14.21.17.

The server is a Supermicro X11SCL-F and the HCA is connected to a MSX6025F .

How does one tell the HCA firmware to configure via DHCP ?

The UEFI-settings can configure the interfaces under “Network Configuration”. Is this the place ?

If so, it doesn’t help.

Is there anything I’m missing ?

Regards,

Norbert

Hello,

In order to boot via PXE , first of all need to make sure the device uefi interface is exposed in the boot menu

if yes exposed so need to change the boot order to start from Mellanox device.

so the place to tell HCA to configure DHCP is to go to boot menu on the BIOS and chose mellanox/Nvidia device to start booting instead boot over hardisk …

If there is still an issue, please open a support ticket with Nvidia by sending an email to:

networking-support@nvidia.com

Best Regards,

Viki

Well, I wrote that it’s actually trying PXE via the Mellanox device, so it is selected as boot device. There is just no DHCP query seen anywhere.

Norbert