Isaac 2021.2.1 vs Isaac 2022.1.0 -> 50% Loss of performance after update

Hello,

I have a benchmark robot that I simulate for 10 secondes (simulation time). This is a fixed robot with 3 joints, all included in the articulation API.
With no change in the rendering parameter, usda, the world, the physics and render dt,… I go from :

• 20 sec real world time with 2021
  • 30 sec real world time with 2022

Note : The joint state of the robot after the 10 sec simulation is different by 1.5% so from this benchmark at least it seems physics stepping is unchanged in term of accuracy.

Benchmark 2 : Here I have disabled rendering to eliminate its effect. To simulate 10 sec, I need in real world :

• 2021 : 2.100886 sec
  • 2022 : 2.997187 sec

Again a ~50% loss in performance. That seems to come from the physics calculation only and not rendering.

Note : I am running Isaac as a standalone python application and call the step function through : self.world.step(render=False).

I would appreciate an explanation in the 50% loss of difference and see if something can be done.
Thanks,
Titouan Le Marec
CEO Nimble One

Hi Titouan,

Thank you so much for your interest in Isaac Sim and I really appreciate the time you took in doing the benchmarking.

We are well aware of some performance issues and we will be addressing them in the next release.

Meanwhile, please don’t hesitate to reaching out to us if you have any other questions or concerns.

Regards,
Ruchik

Hello Titouan,

Would it be possible to share the USD and python files with us so that we can reproduce this benchmark?

Thanks,
Mike

Done in your PM, happy to help.
Titouan

Thanks, we’ll take a look.

And can I ask what is your hardware setup?

Hello,

Here is the setup of our pro laptops (ubuntu 20.04) :

• Dell System Inspiron 15 7510
  • Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz, 2304 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
  • Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16,0 GB
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU, 2GB VRAM, driver version : 511

Below the minimum requirements but we have had no issues with 2021 or 2022 so far.

Thanks

Please try to change the driver version to the recommended one in doc and see if that helps