Jetbot telemetry

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to get telemetry informations from a JetBot ? By telemetry I mean the motor speed and maybe something similar to the raw, pitch and roll axis in an airplane and maybe other “mechanical” statistics.

If it’s not possible with the basic jetbot what are the things I need to add to my build to get thoses informations ?

Thanks in advance for your responses :)

Sorry for the late response, have you found the information you need?

1 Like

No problem, thank you for answering :) I have not found anything yet

Hi r0binn,

Thanks for reaching out, and apologies for the delayed response!

Unfortunately, as-is JetBot does not ship with the hardware to do these, however you might find the below information helpful.

Motor speed

To estimate the motor speed directly you’ll likely need to add wheel encoders. For example, the motors below have wheel encoders attached

Which attach these encoders.

However, these encoders may require a micro-controller or other device to count the interrupts. Which must still be accounted for.

Roll, Pitch, Yaw

Roll, pitch and yaw are typically predicted with an Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU). 9-axis MEMS IMU’s which combine a gyroscope, magnetometer, and accelerometer are relatively cheap and may work well for this purpose. The raw accelerometer, magnetometer and gyroscope data are combined by a sensor fusion algorithm to produce the absolute roll, pitch and yaw. This sensor fusion might be complicated to do from scratch, and often needs to run at high rates and strict timing. For this reason, it may be worth looking for a solution that does this processing internally. For example, the following IMU performs sensor fusion and outputs the predicted orientation over I2C.

You may be able to integrate this directly with Jetson over I2C.

As a disclaimer, I haven’t personally tested the hardware I mentioned, so it is possible you would run into issues, but hopefully this serves as a starting point.

Please let me know if this helps or if you have any questions.

Best,
John

Thank you for thoses informations, this is exactly what I was looking for ! I’ll look a them and come back to you if needed :)

Robin

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.