Jetpack 6 Flashing RT Kernel

Hello

To build RT kernel, does the procedure remains the same as below link ?

https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/archives/r35.3.1/DeveloperGuide/text/SD/Kernel/KernelCustomization.html#to-build-the-real-time-kernel

We have a new guide for JetPack 6:
https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/archives/r36.2/DeveloperGuide/SD/Kernel/KernelCustomization.html

Thank you for the link, I do not intend to mix this topic with other one I have created this morning but did not hear back anything on the other one so if you can just shed some light I will appreciate it.

I installed JP 6 this morning and could not get the joystick to work as stated but then I forgot about the RT so I am doing it again but if you can please confirm that this is not a bug or something ?

Is it the same on non-RT kernel?

Yes, straight install from sdkmanager on NVME.

Then please focus the issue on the post you mentioned.
I don’t think it’s anything specific to RT stuff.

Sounds good, I will try this RT way and keep this thread posted on my result if its the same. But just a curiosity on flashing this on NVME remains the same after I have compiled it on the host machine ?

I don’t know what you are talking about.

I think I need to clear my basics here then, to build the RT kernel, do I build this on host machine with the steps mentioned in the link and then this would have to be flashed right on the Jetson ?

Or is this done on the Jetson after I have done flashing the Jetpack ?

Everything is done on the host.

NVM, thank you. I found this link to clarify my doubt.

There should be no SDK Manager stuff here; it only gives you the stock kernel, but not the RT one.

Got it, thank you.

I am getting error while doing a build

It’s clearly stated that you need to install flex.

Yes I fixed it. Thank you.

I have following question, as this my first time flashing RT-kernel vs working with RTOS enabled controllers, I followed all the steps above in manual on my VM.

To apply the patch, do I first need to,

sudo tar xpf Jetson_Linux_R36.2.0_aarch64.tbz2
cd Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs/
sudo tar xpf …/…/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R36.2.0_aarch64.tbz2
cd …
sudo ./apply_binaries.sh
sudo ./flash.sh --no-flash jetson-agx-orin-devkit nvme0n1p1

Can you please provide the further steps to this puzzle. Is this thread still good to follow

This thread is old and hard to follow. For JetPack 5.1, in order to use Linux RT patch, the Linux kernel has to be rebuilt with RT patch applied and then flashed to the target system. I am not sure if the latest Jetson SDK makes it easier to apply RT patch without having to rebuild and flash the kernel.

Thanks for the input, I am trying to do this on JP6 and no good documentation so far.

@DaveYYY Can you please simply this process for first time users ? As this will help a lot of users going forward.