JP 6.0 RT_Patch Flash Issue with Initrd

Trying to use below script after enabling real time patch, to flash but fails at step 3,

sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --external-device nvme0n1p1 -p “-c ./bootloader/generic/cfg/flash_t234_qspi.xml” -c ./tools/kernel_flash/flash_l4t_t234_nvme.xml --showlogs --network usb0 jetson-orin-nano-devkit nvme0n1p1

Tried connecting USB 2.0 during flash but no luck ! (Using 500 GB SSD on dev kit, AGX Orin 64GB)

Using sudo ./flash.sh jetson-orin-nano-devkit mmcblk0p1 works and boots up the device.

Do this instead:
https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/archives/r36.3/DeveloperGuide/SD/SoftwarePackagesAndTheUpdateMechanism.html#real-time-kernel-using-ota-update

If you do want to build the kernel yourself, dump the serial console log:

Make sure initrd is updated with the new kernel prior to flashing:
https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/archives/r36.3/DeveloperGuide/SD/Kernel/KernelCustomization.html#building-the-nvidia-out-of-tree-modules

@DaveYYY this seems better solution, thank you. So flashing with SDKMANAGER to NVMe should be ok right or using CLI ? and then following the manual !

Both way should do it.

@DaveYYY Tried couple times, so far. Cleared prebuilt kernel workspace and installing using SDKMANAGER and its failing here, stuck on boot screen

SDKM_logs_JetPack_6.0_Linux_for_Jetson_AGX_Orin_modules_2024-05-09_07-54-30.zip (337.5 KB)

Device failed to boot to the initrd flash kernel. Please retrive the serial log during flashing to debug further.

The log already told you what to do.
You still didn’t give the serial console log.

Your logic is a bunch of mess here.
What exactly you are using?
Why you put Orin Nano in the command when you have an AGX Orin?
Do you really what you are doing?

@DaveYYY The nano was my typo from your manual but in reality I did not do that, I am using SDKMANAGER, so that defeats if I did any typo or not. Let me give you serial log in a minute.

@DaveYYY Please see this attached, still using SDKMANAGER.
serial_log.zip (13.1 KB)

I don’t think it’s in force recovery mode, which is the most basic thing you need to know how to do.
It boots directly into the kernel.

You are not supposed to get these:

[ 8.283422] Rootfs mounted over PARTUUID=9b0a62de-0dc4-404f-adf4-ea807e0fd77
[ 8.295270] Switching from initrd to actual rootfs

@DaveYYY Basic thing, oh really.

How did it flash then in emmc without any issue ? Just NVMe has issue.

You just make sure it’s in force recovery mode…
It’s as simple as it is.

@DaveYYY It is in force recovery mode, this is not my first time. Just FYI, I have built kernels before too, I re-flashed it, attaching log again of flash.

SDKM_logs_JetPack_6.0_Linux_for_Jetson_AGX_Orin_modules_2024-05-09_09-29-43.zip (697.5 KB)

emmc works fine without any issue, flash → boot.

You always attach both flashing log and serial console log.
Only flashing log is useless.

You really should be doing this if you don’t know what the correct step is.

Copy that sir.
serial_log.zip (20.4 KB)

Delete all your customization and flash again with the default BSP.
You must have done something wrong when compiling the kernel.

@DaveYYY Thats what is the plan, I am trying to flash stock kernel which I mentioned above. For the same I had deleted this morning entire folder and started from scratch with SDKMANAGER.

As I understand you might be concerned about me packing initrd image right as while building kernel the rt is missing in JP6 compared to JP5 due to build but I had done that also right and experience the same issue yesterday. Just FYI, rt flash was successful yesterday on my end building and packing image on emmc but not on NVMe and if you want me to layout steps here I am happy to.

I am not a rookie, lets not start tug of war. I am saying fact, there seems to be issue while flashing on NVMe,

You should know their mechanism is different.
It’s meaningless to claim eMMC works when you fail with NVMe/USB.

I’m 100% sure flashing customized kernel into NVMe should work because that’s what I have just verified today.