Jetpack4. 6. Jetson NX has brushed the nvme SSD of the system. If you want to use it to start a new nx EMMC, how should this NX operate

jetpack4. 6. Jetson NX has brushed the nvme SSD of the system. If you want to use it to start a new nx EMMC, how should this NX operate

Hi 392415830,

You can use SDK Manager to install your new NX device and select Storage Device: EMMC/SD Card (default) to flash.

I want to talk about how to batch brush the system to nvme on the production line, Or how can I restore nvme using script backups, I know that some tools can back up and restore SSD, but it’s the simplest. And just backing up SSD can’t directly start a new NX module, For example, how can I simply brush the machine for 100 NX modules

If all these 100 modules are for emmc, you can use the massflash tool inside the Linux_for_Tegra BSP folder.

If you once installed sdkmanager before, this will be in your host machine path ~/nvidia.

I know this, but I don’t know how to use this scripting tool, I’m chinese

On which step will SDK Manager prompt me to choose NVME storage?

I’m using SDK Manager v1.7.1 and trying to flash JetPack 4.6(rev3) into a AGX Xavier module. It’s not brand new but has JetPack 4.5.
I connected SDK Manager with AGX module, it seems that the downloading and installing are already in progress but I didn’t see any place to choose internal SSD or my newly installed nvme SSD. (the nvme SSD in not brand new either, it’s used and has been mounted as /data before)

Hi fei.4.xu1,

Before flash image, you can see this page to setup device into recovery mode ways, and you can select Storage Device in steps-8.

1 Like

thanks! now I see this dialog.

(one side note:
in the dialog above (item 1), choose “Manual Setup” if USB-C is used to connect Xavier to PC, and Xavier is already in recovery mode. If you choose the automatic setup, ip address of 192.168.55.1 will be used to connect and you might continuously get connection error messages.)

If I want to use a new NX module for an nvme solid-state installed environment, is there a simple way

Hi 392415830,

You can use below command to flash on NVMe:

cd Linux_for_Tegra
$sudo ./nvsdkmanager_flash.sh --storage nvme0n1p1

But it still doesn’t seem to achieve what I want,I don’t know whether or not you understand my needs,thank you very much,You answered some of my doubts, Another question is, how does nvme backup and restore

What located on the NVMe are just 3 partitions. The rest of binaries are still on the QSPI-NOR flash of the mdoule.
If you really want to do some copy, you don’t really need NVIDIA tools. Just use dd command to copy the files should work too.

The approach in the project below is a really simple way. Just one command and you are done:

This project is a base project for another one that sets up a boot from SSD environment but gives the user the option to run it in a production mode whereby the OS is mounted with a read-only memory overlay file system, which isolates it from the sort of corruption that leads to a box that does nothing because it has file system damage and is waiting for the user to answer questions.

Maybe that works for your use case. It creates 3x partions. The first is an OS partion.

The second is a smaller partition for which the intentions to store configuration. You keep it mounted read-only and re-mount it read-write when you want to update the configuration.

The last partition is intended for read-write usage, however it’s not mounted automatically from fsck. Instead /etc/rc.local does a force fsck -y on this partition before mounting it. Again this prevents a corrupted file system from causing a stalled box. And if the file system really is so corrupted that you need manual intervention then the OS still boots and starts all networking allowing for a remote repair if necessary. However, no non-booting box because of disk corruption or unexpected power cuts.

And as said, it installs in just one command, no flashing involved and the install script creates all of the partitions and copies the OS over to the SSD. Everything is done for you.

There’s a video on my YouTube channel that shows just how easy it is done here:

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Kim Hendrikse

1 Like

Actually with this problem it would be helpful to know somewhat the usecase. If you are preparing a commercial product that has to rollout booting from flash then my suggestion is not for you. If however, you are creating a one off bespoke solution to a problem of developing a solution but are not focused on the boot side of it at this stage, then this can help a lot.

A little more clarity on what I mean by the two modes of operation provided by sbts-base. Once installed, you are operating in the read-write mode. This means that everything from / is writable and you can install packages etc. But when you are done with that it’s recommended to re-boot to the resilient mode. You do this by executing sbts-bin/make_readonly.sh and then rebooting.

The boot process is modified to not only mount the memory overlayfs but also to pivot the root to the SSD. But as the OS, i.e. /, is not mounted readwrite. It’s bye bye to failing boots due to disk errors. And these failing boots happen all the time if you have any power cuts.

Cheers,
Kim Hendrikse

Well / is mounted readwrite, but you would be writing to memory and not the underlying OS disk.

OK, For a new NX module, how to brush QSPI through the command line or script

Hi,

What is your exact requirement here?

Your previous comment sounds like you want to backup the nvme, but now you want to flash the QSPI .
What is the exact question here?

My requirement is how to batch install the environment,For example, if there is an nvme with an installed environment, how can it be used on a new NX module,As for cloning nvme SSD, I have found a simple method,Because I am Chinese and my English is poor, I may have some difficulties in communicating with you

thank you very much

1 Like

You can just use the translator and let it translate to English for you and paste your question here.

Also, put your original Chinese question along with this English one.