Jetson Nano wiring to PWM driver for servo control.

Hello Everybody! I’m a computer science student, and I don’t have a good background with electronics. Right now, I need to connect a servo motor with a Jetson Nano board. Could anyone guide me in this?

Thanks

Hi realsharif94,

Thanks for reaching out! You can’t connect the servo directly to the Jetson, but you can use a servo driver for this purpose.

I’d recommend this 16 channel servo driver.

[url]https://www.adafruit.com/product/815[/url]

You need to just connect 4 wires (VCC, GND, SCL, SDA) to the Jetson Nano. You’ll also need to supply (V+, GND) to power the motors from some other source.

Once it’s wired up, you can easily control the motors using the Adafruit “ServoKit” Python library.

[url]Introduction — Adafruit ServoKit Library 1.0 documentation

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
John

1 Like

Is there a map linking to J41? Is there a requirement for the power supply? Can the 5V-3A microUSB power supply be supported? Thank you

you only use controllers for controlling signal, the power needed to drive the servo is from other places. So no, you don’t need to supply extra power for your controller.

If you are a CS guy, why are you doing embedded stuff anyway? Leave something for control people like me, otherwise, all the job would be taken by you guys.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I downloaded all the requires libraries, but I’m getting this error " no module named adafruit_servokit".

Can you please explain why? We are powering the servo from another power source, making common ground with jetson GND. This setup works fine with raspberry GPiO, but not with jetson: when we connect only the PWM signal to the traxxas servo, we can see on the oscilloscope a broken PWM signal. Any idea why?

3 Likes

During the last 6 hours I have being tring to instal a servo controler but it identifies this
sudo i2cdetect -y -r 1
[sudo] password for prophet:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – – – – – UU – – – – – – –
10: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
20: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
30: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
40: UU UU – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
50: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
60: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
70: – – – – 74 – – –
prophet@prophet-desktop:~$

or this
sudo i2cdetect -y -r 0
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – – – – – – – – – – – – –
10: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
20: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
30: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
40: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
50: 50 – – – – – 56 – – – – – – – – –
60: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
70: – – – – – – – –

Please can somebody help? I have gone through all youtube tutorials but nothing works. Please help.

according to Topic 146769, it looks like you’ve already resolve the issue.

is l298d motor diver module is used to servo motor? i want to control servo motor for particular angle?

hello thiyagesh13,

it is designed to accept stranded TTL logic levels and drive inductive loads such as relays, solenoids, DC and stepper motors. you may also check for datasheets for reference.

BTW,
please initial another new one discussion thread with your questions for better supports.
thanks