MacOSX missing MPI compiler

I was following the directions here (https://www.tensorflow.org/get_started/os_setup#optional_setup_gpu_for_mac) and got to the make step to check the Cuda install and it ran and ran but kept giving me errors (including "xcode-select: error: tool ‘xcodebuild’ requires Xcode, but active developer directory ‘/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools’ is a command line tools instance
“). After a few iterations of this it gave me a No MPI Compiler Found error and later it spit this out:
“””/Developer/NVIDIA/CUDA-8.0/bin/nvcc -ccbin g++ -I…/…/common/inc -m64 -Xcompiler -arch -Xcompiler x86_64 -DUSE_PTHREADS -gencode arch=compute_30,code=sm_30 -gencode arch=compute_35,code=sm_35 -gencode arch=compute_37,code=sm_37 -gencode arch=compute_50,code=sm_50 -gencode arch=compute_52,code=sm_52 -gencode arch=compute_60,code=sm_60 -gencode arch=compute_60,code=compute_60 -o UnifiedMemoryStreams.o -c UnifiedMemoryStreams.cu
UnifiedMemoryStreams.cu(174): warning: missing return statement at end of non-void function “execute”

UnifiedMemoryStreams.cu(174): warning: missing return statement at end of non-void function “execute”

UnifiedMemoryStreams.cu:174:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
[-Wreturn-type]
^
1 warning generated.
/Developer/NVIDIA/CUDA-8.0/bin/nvcc -ccbin g++ -m64 -Xcompiler -arch -Xcompiler x86_64 -DUSE_PTHREADS -Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker /Developer/NVIDIA/CUDA-8.0/lib -gencode arch=compute_30,code=sm_30 -gencode arch=compute_35,code=sm_35 -gencode arch=compute_37,code=sm_37 -gencode arch=compute_50,code=sm_50 -gencode arch=compute_52,code=sm_52 -gencode arch=compute_60,code=sm_60 -gencode arch=compute_60,code=compute_60 -o UnifiedMemoryStreams UnifiedMemoryStreams.o -lcublas
mkdir -p …/…/bin/x86_64/darwin/release"""

I had to ctrl-C it to stop it. Please advise. Thank you

Perhaps you should install MPI on your mac. That has nothing to do with CUDA, or NVIDIA.

Here’s a somewhat old description:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13157260/having-open-mpi-related-issues-while-making-cuda-5-0-samples-mac-os-x-ml

I’m sure there are a great many ways to install MPI on your mac.

The UnifiedMemoryStreams.cu warnings don’t have anything to do with MPI, I don’t think.