New CUDA on WSL2 WIP driver 465.42 is now available for download!

Hope you all had a great start to the New Year!

We are back here again to announce the release of the latest version of the preview driver, and this update includes many features that you have eagerly been asking for!

We are pleased to inform you that WSL2 WIP driver 465.42 is now available for download. CUDA 11.2 toolkit will be functional for WSL v2 with this release. The soul of this driver release are some performance improvements we have made. Please let us know below what you think!

Please register for the NVIDIA Developer Program and the Microsoft Windows Insider Program, to access the driver installers and documentation from the Downloads area on our CUDA on WSL webpage.

Our user guide and blog links below, contain valuable information to aid you to learn how CUDA works with WSL, including how to get started with running applications, and deep learning containers.

We encourage all of our developers to use our Forum for sharing their experience with the larger WSL community.

4 Likes

Thanks very much. Finally got CUDA 11.2 support. Nevertheless, I find 465.42 causes MS Flight Simulator (2020) starts with black screen. This could be caused by WDDM 3.0 supported, not likely, though. Could anyone tell me where to report the problem? It’s not for this forum obviously.

1 Like

Brightness controls no longer work on my device since updating to 465.42. Everything else seems to work fine, e.g. Cuda toolkit 11.2. I am on Windows build 21301 with an HP ZBook studio x360 G5. Any suggestions? (tried disabling and enabling device driver, and of course restarting).

1 Like

I installed this new driver 465.42, and when I’m trying to run nvidia-smi.exe in powershell, it crashes nvidia-smi.exe right away.

I thought that this could be some old driver issue, so I tried install driver again, but this time as a clean installation, didn’t work either.

Is there way to fallback on older version?

Edit: i9-9900k + 2080Ti
PS C:\Users\Jecode> nvidia-smi.exe
Mon Feb 1 10:45:09 2021
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 461.40 Driver Version: 461.40 CUDA Version: 11.2 |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU Name TCC/WDDM | Bus-Id Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan Temp Perf Pwr:Usage/Cap| Memory-Usage | GPU-Util Compute M. |
| | | MIG M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
| 0 GeForce RTX 208... WDDM | 00000000:01:00.0 On | N/A |
| 0% 51C P8 39W / 300W | 1089MiB / 11264MiB | 13% Default |
| | | N/A |
------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

1 Like

nvidia-docker does not work on this driver.

How do I roll back to 465.21 from 465.42? I do not have a roll back driver option in device manager. Trying to fix my issue of brightness controls no longer working.

I’ve installed this driver on Windows 10 pro preview (build 21318.1000) On Lenovo Legion 7 with GTX 2070 Super to try out WSL2 feature.

Here are the issues I’ve encountered:

• immediately after install the brightness controls no longer work
  • after restart the laptop display goes black and no longer works (the external display on hdmi seems fine)

The only solution was to revert to the driver version provided by lenovo (457.20), but GPU on WSL2 no longer works. Any suggestions on what might go wrong?

Just installed 465.42 on build 21318.1000 using an RTX2080. Unfortunately I am encountering severe screen flickering in the top half of my screen after installing the driver. Rolling back resolves this issue.

1 Like

İnstalling CUDA GEFORCE driver caused a black screen blinking on the top of my screen. Is there any other working driver available?

With this driver and WIP 21327.1000 my 2080ti does not shown in nvidia-smi anymore:
±----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 465.42 Driver Version: 465.42 CUDA Version: 11.3 |
|-------------------------------±---------------------±---------------------+
| GPU Name TCC/WDDM | Bus-Id Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan Temp Perf Pwr:Usage/Cap| Memory-Usage | GPU-Util Compute M. |
| | | MIG M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|

Also i have an issue with previously woking container.

Is there a reason why CUDA drivers are currently unavailable when I navigate to https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda/wsl/download?

10 Likes

Message is changed!!

New developer drivers are planned to be made available this coming Monday 03/22/21, thanks for your patience.

Wow!

Any update on the drivers, now that it’s 03/22/21?

3 Likes

It’s March 23 already. I wonder in what part of the world it’s still 03/22.

5 Likes

03/22。。。Any driver is ok. Where can I download it?

1 Like

Anyone have the previous version of CUDA driver for wsl2? I need that, thanks for hlep.

5 Likes

This is an incredible move: delete old driver and do not release a new one.

If somebody can share the previous version please do

1 Like

Hi, I’m new here. Just wondering if this is normal for Nvidia, to delete any means of downloading previous drives

Maybe the old driver had a serious problem that they are now trying to fix. Still happy that I am not the only one waiting for the Download :-)!

1 Like

Does anyone know what happens?