Nouveau Drivers Installed - Want Latest Driver for GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

The Nouveau drivers that we have installed for a Quadro 600 card are not compatible with the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti card that we want to use. The video works up to the last part of the RHEL 6 boot and then it has bus errors. I like this card because of its form factor and low power use.

Is it necessary to uninstall the Nouveau drivers and other things before I install the new driver?

NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.34.run

What I want to avoid is the possibility that nothing will work after removing Nouveau and not being able to go back without a lot of effort.

Thanks,
Robert

PS:
RHEL 2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64

That kernel version means you have RHEL 6.2 installed, which is largely outdated. Otherwise, I would recommend using the packaged driver from rpmfusion but those would probably require a fully updated OS, in your case RHEL 6.10. Using the package would have the advantage of automatically blacklisting the nouveau driver and it can be removed easily.
BTW, do you intend to replace the Quadro 600 with the 1050ti or use them in parallel? In the latter case you would be limited to the v390 driver which is the last to support the old Quadro.

Thank you for your reply. Do you happen to have a link to those drivers? Would that driver run the Quadro if it turns out the 1050Ti won’t work? I intend to completely replace the quadro.

You are right. I had an old version of epel on my OS was seriously outdated … running updates now … gonna take a while.

Thanks

Adding rpmfusion repo:
[url]https://rpmfusion.org/Configuration/[/url]
installing 390 legacy driver (works for the Quadro and 1050ti)
[url]Howto/NVIDIA - RPM Fusion
installing current 430 driver (1050ti only):
[url]Howto/NVIDIA - RPM Fusion

Thanks!

My updates are going badly because of the HP drivers conflicts.

Since dnf is no longer supported or included in updates, is there a way to get the repositories without dnf? Yum, rpm?

sudo dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx akmod-nvidia-390xx
sudo dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx-cuda #optional for cuda up to 9.2 support
dnf update -y

I have epel and rpm fully installed.

Ubuntu User.(kde neon)
TL:DR
Purge all open source drivers and Libs as the was/is a conflict with them and the Nvidia metapackage.
Below is an example for any M$uBuntu based Distros.
Not REDHAT_IBM.
Just a quick share.
When installing Nvidia Prop. Drivers.
telinit 3 &&
apt remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-all &&
apt remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-* &&
apt remove --purge mesa* &&
apt remove --purge i965-va-driver

the purge obsolete package confs with

dpkg -l | grep ‘^rc’ | awk ‘{print $2}’ | xargs dpkg --purge

I was of the understanding that theres a few openlibs that conflict with nVidia Prop. driver.
I have exceptional performance.
I also purge ( and hate) nvidia-prime, tlp, optimus, bumblebee.
I also blacklist but still get zero issue eitherway.

Is this conflict still an issue?
Is this a Linux issue not a Distro issue?

rharker, disregard the previous post, that was some stuff for debian style linuxes.
IIRC, dnf has only been introduced with RHEl7+ so you should stick with yum , since sytax compatible, just exchange both on command line.

I turns out that my old computer has a PCi 2 bus and the card is PCi 3. Fundamentally it will never work no matter what driver I have.

Thanks for all the help.

You Can Update Windows…