NVENC Encoding support for NVIDIA A100 GPU Card

I’m trying screen capture and encoding using NvFBC Linux API version 1.7 and NvEncode Linux API version 11.0 on RHEL 7.9.

When I try to open an encoder session to encode the captured frames using nvEncOpenEncodeSessionEx API from NvEncode APIs, It is giving NV_ENC_ERR_UNSUPPORTED_DEVICE status code and failed to open the encoder session.

Later when I checked the support matrix on this forum (Video Encode and Decode GPU Support Matrix | NVIDIA Developer), I see that NVENC Encoding is not supported on NVIDIA A100 GPU Card.

Is there any particular reason for not supporting it or are there any plans to support it in future? Because I see that NVIDIA A40 from the same ampere architecture, on which NVIDIA A100 GPU Card is based, supports NVENC Encoding. So I really want to understand why encoding is not supported.

Here are the details of my setup:
GPU: NVIDIA A100-SXM4-40GB
Driver Version: 470.57.02
CUDA Version: 11.4
NVENC Device Type: NV_ENC_DEVICE_TYPE_OPENGL

Please help!

1 Like

Hi @amaresh494 ,

as you can see from the Support Matrix, A40 and A100 are using different chips, GA102 vs GA100 meaning there is a HW difference.

Beyond that I am afraid I am unable to share more information on this topic with you.

I am sorry that you are running into this issue and I sincerely hope that you will find a workaround for your use-case!

Thanks,
Markus

1 Like

@MarkusHoHo ,
This is a one time exception case or in future as well you folks see that NVENC support will be available on selective chips only?

Thanks!

Ashish

Hello Ashish (@user41041) and welcome to the NVIDIA developer forums!

I am afraid I have to give you the same answer as I gave to Amaresh before. Specific feature support plans for future chips are internal decisions that we cannot share on this forum in advance.

Thanks for your understanding!

Markus