nVidia hardware needed? Or can I try it out without it?

Hey people, just a quick question:
I’d like to try out CUDA, but I don’t have any hardware that supports it. Can I try it out without any supported hardware, just like with e.g. PhysX, where everything still works but naturally runs very slowly?

Because I’ve tried running CUDA without installing the driver, but it just gives me an error message when running the SDK samples (on both XP x86 and Vista x64): “cudaSafeCall() Runtime API Error in file <filename, line> feature is not yet implemented.” When I open those files and look at the mentioned line, it seems to always be a command called “cutilSafeCall()” that causes this error.

Hey people, just a quick question:
I’d like to try out CUDA, but I don’t have any hardware that supports it. Can I try it out without any supported hardware, just like with e.g. PhysX, where everything still works but naturally runs very slowly?

Because I’ve tried running CUDA without installing the driver, but it just gives me an error message when running the SDK samples (on both XP x86 and Vista x64): “cudaSafeCall() Runtime API Error in file <filename, line> feature is not yet implemented.” When I open those files and look at the mentioned line, it seems to always be a command called “cutilSafeCall()” that causes this error.

I think you just need to add the -deviceemu flag to your compile to run in device emulation mode. This is the no hardware approach.

HI SIR,

I also facing above problem … How to add the -deviceemu flag to compile to run in device emulation mode…

please suggest me sir,as soon as possible

If I do that, for any of the example programs in the CUDA SDK, the program will start up and I can see the main window, but nothing seems to happen for a while. After about ten seconds, it shuts down completely, no matter which of the programs. What am I doing wrong?

@viki: If you compile on Windows, just use the EmuRelease Profile instead of the normal x86 or x64 profile in Visual Studio.

@viki: If you compile on Windows, just use the EmuRelease Profile instead of the normal x86 or x64 profile in Visual Studio.

[/quote]

sir,

i used Emurelease  profile but it shows same error "cudaSafeCall() Runtime API Error in file <filename, line> feature is not yet implemented." 

please suggest me?

It’s kindof hard to tell exactly what might be happening. Anyway, when I run the examples, they pause when complete with a message saying “Press ENTER to exit…”. For some of the code that I’ve written that wasn’t quite complete, it sometimes errors out and closes before I have a chance to read anything. When this happens, I do one of three things:

1. Open a command prompt and run it from there.

2. Go to the Debug->Start Without Debugging (Ctrl-F5) menu option. This makes it so the command prompt Visual Studio opens doesn’t close on its own when things “finish”. That way you can tell what’s going on (i.e. you can see if it’s crashing).

3. Compile it in Debug mode and run it in the debugger to see where it’s crashing.

Hope one of those can help.

@viki

What versions of CUDA SDK and Visual Studio are you using?

Also, if you could post the contents of Command Line that is being used to compile the CUDA file in question, that would be helpful. To get there, just right-click the file in the Solution Explorer and go to Properties. Then it’s under “Configuration Properties”->“Custom Build Setup”->General. While that window is open…also note here what configuration is active (Debug, EmuDebug, EmuRelease, or Release).

hi,

i am using 2.1 vertion..

That may be your problem. In this thread, they talk about how 2.1 apparently broke the emulation features. As a user of the 2.0 SDK, I can say that the emulation features do work in 2.0.

hi,
ok how to do this emulation mode in 2.1 vertion…

It’s broken. Install 2.0 instead and it should work.

thanks sir,

i installed CUDA 2.0 version but CUDA_SDK_sample project files are not opening. what i have to do now where the problem was occuring.. please give suggest me as soon as possible sir...

I’m also having trouble with that. I have an x64 Windows XP and no CUDA compatible card. I changed 2.1 to 2.0, but unlike the 2.1 driver, the 2.0 driver refuses to install if there is no compatible card.

The first problem in building a solution was that the project tried to link with cutil32.lib, after changing it in project properties to cutil64.lib this is fixed. The other problem is this error:

nvcc fatal : Visual Studio configuration file ‘(null)’ could not be found for installation at ‘C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/VC/bin’

I don’t know how to get rid of it. Any help?

I’m compiling in EmuRelease mode.

If i run the sample from the SDK browser it runs OK.

Generally that error appears when you install VS2005 without explicitly installing the x64 compilers (you have to do a custom installation and explicitly enable it).

hi,
i installed cuda 2.0 version…when i debug the program i ll get following error

Running on…
device 0 : device Emulation
Quick mode
Host to Device Bandwidth for Pagable memory
CUDA error i file ‘bandwidthTest.cu’ in line 655 :Feature is not at implemented.

what i have to do now plz give reply