NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver

In order to use DIGITS, I do the process of NVIDIA driver installation as described in the page of DIGITS System Setup. (jetson-inference/docs/digits-setup.md at master · dusty-nv/jetson-inference · GitHub)
Some parts are modified from ubuntu1604 to ubuntu2004 because I use ubuntu20.04.

After the command( sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -y --no-install-recommends cuda-drivers) to install drivers I find the message ( cuda-drivers is already the newest version (550.54.14-1)
and it looks the installation is OK.
However after reboot and (nvidia-smi) command, the following message appears.
(NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.)

Please suggest how to solve this.
For additional information, there is some key authentication issue and I actually used the following command to install the drivers but maybe this is not a cause of the problem.
(sudo apt-get -o Acquire::AllowInsecureRepositories=true update && sudo apt-get --allow-unauthenticated install -y --no-install-recommends cuda-drivers)

What you are asking has nothing to do with Jetson platforms.
Either ask in the right forum or there is a bunch of threads talking about the same error.

Note that the desktop PC has a PCIe discrete GPU (dGPU), but a Jetson has a GPU which is directly integrated with the memory controller (iGPU). nvidia-smi depends on a PCI bus dGPU, and drivers with the naming convention 550.54.14-1 imply a dGPU. That driver would probably break a Jetson if you install it (it conflicts with the iGPU driver). nvidia-smi will fail because there is no PCIe bus dGPU on Jetsons for it to talk to.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.