Nvvideo4linux2 plugins are resolved/listed by `gst-inspect-1.0` on hardware where they are not supported

On Jetson platforms where a particular hardware codec is not supported (for example, vp8 on AGX Orin), the associated plugin is still resolvable using gst-inspect-1.0; this breaks other plugins which attempt to resolve the appropriate encoder for a codec.

Specifically, when a plugin attempts to resolve vp8 encoder on Jetson AGX Orin, it should find one of the available CPU encoder implementations, but instead it often resolves to nvv4l2vp8enc (which loads, but is unable to encode).

My solution so far has been to rebuild the gst-nvvideo4linux2 plugins from the available sources, modifying them to exclude particular plugins on particular platforms. (I can’t just use GST_PLUGIN_PATH because all of the nvv4l2* plugins are built in the same shared lib). Is there an easier way these can be specifically excluded–maybe by some environment variable or flag or configuration option?

• Hardware Platform (Jetson / GPU)
Jetoson O
• DeepStream Version: As provided in nvcr.io/nvidia/deepstream-l4t:6.1.1-triton
• JetPack Version (valid for Jetson only): 5.0.2
• TensorRT Version
• NVIDIA GPU Driver Version (valid for GPU only)
• Issue Type( questions, new requirements, bugs)
• How to reproduce the issue ? (This is for bugs. Including which sample app is using, the configuration files content, the command line used and other details for reproducing)
• Requirement details( This is for new requirement. Including the module name-for which plugin or for which sample application, the function description)

Hi,
This looks to be an issue in our release. Jetpack 5 supports Orin and Xavier series but both do not support VP8 encoding. We will check and clean up and code in later release.

Hi,
As a quick solution, please remove gst_v4l2_vp8_enc_register() in gstv4l2.c and rebuild libgstnvvideo4linux2.so. So that the plugin will not be registered.

@mdeboer Is this issue solved with the above workaround on your side?
We are checking with our teams for removing the plugin. For Jetpack 5.0.2 and 5.1, please apply the workaround.

@yingliu yes, as mentioned in the original post. I’m unblocked – and glad to know you all have a fix coming.
Thanks!