I have an open-source game I used to enjoy playing called opsu (found at GitHub - itdelatrisu/opsu: opsu! ~ an open-source osu! client), but unfortunately, now I am no longer able to play it and I think NVIDIA drivers are most likely to be at fault since that is the only thing that would have changed. It starts up, looks like the game screen might start to display, then crashes back to desktop.
Here are my specs:
OS: Xubuntu 22.04.3 LTS x86_64
Host: X570S AORUS PRO AX -CF
Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1200
DE: Xfce 4.16
WM Theme: Default
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (24) @ 4.001GHz
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 4070
GPU Driver: 535.86.10
Here is a crashlog from the game, which to me indicates that NVIDIA drivers could actually be at fault:
hs_err_pid2262039.log (128.6 KB)
The main error that appears in the command line is basically:
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (11.0.20+8-post-Ubuntu-1ubuntu122.04, mixed mode, sharing, tiered, compressed oops, g1 gc, linux-amd64)
# Problematic frame:
# C [libc.so.6+0x97f74] pthread_mutex_lock+0x4
Does anyone have any ideas for any additional logging or things I could check for this issue? I feel pretty confident this is an NVIDIA driver issue.
Confirmed, this is a regression with NVIDIA driver 535. The game Opsu works on Ubuntu 22.04 after uninstalling NVIDIA 535 and installing 525.125.06 with full performance on my NVIDIA RTX 4070, the game starts crashing again on launch with a black screen crash to desktop after I uninstall 525 and install 535.104.05.
I ended up manually installing 530.41.03 drivers again and I had to manually hold them since apt tries to “upgrade” them to 535, which is not an upgrade IMO but a downgrade.
I downloaded the driver .deb files manually from here: amd64 build of nvidia-graphics-drivers-530 530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22... : PPA for Canonical Kernel Team : “Canonical Kernel Team” team and from here: i386 build of nvidia-graphics-drivers-530 530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.... : PPA for Canonical Kernel Team : “Canonical Kernel Team” team
Here is the command I used for manually installing the 530.41.03 drivers:
sudo apt install ./libnvidia-compute-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_i386.deb ./libnvidia-fbc1-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_i386.deb ./libnvidia-extra-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_i386.deb ./libnvidia-encode-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_i386.deb ./libnvidia-decode-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_i386.deb ./libnvidia-gl-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_i386.deb ./nvidia-kernel-source-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_amd64.deb ./nvidia-kernel-common-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_amd64.deb ./xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_amd64.deb ./nvidia-utils-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_amd64.deb ./nvidia-driver-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_amd64.deb ./libnvidia-gl-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_amd64.deb ./nvidia-dkms-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_amd64.deb ./nvidia-compute-utils-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_amd64.deb ./libnvidia-fbc1-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_amd64.deb ./libnvidia-extra-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_amd64.deb ./libnvidia-compute-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_amd64.deb ./libnvidia-encode-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_amd64.deb ./libnvidia-decode-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_amd64.deb ./libnvidia-common-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_all.deb ./libnvidia-cfg1-530_530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2_amd64.deb
After that, I had to mark them as held so apt wouldn’t keep trying to upgrade them to 535:
sudo apt-mark hold libnvidia-common-530 libnvidia-compute-530:i386 libnvidia-decode-530:i386 libnvidia-encode-530:i386 libnvidia-extra-530:i386 libnvidia-fbc1-530:i386 nvidia-dkms-530 nvidia-driver-530
Staying on these older 530 drivers works fine for me, and it gives me better performance with 530.41.03 drivers versus 525.125.06 drivers for my RTX 4070:
525 benchmark: https://i.imgur.com/cMAfyFN.png
530 benchmark: https://i.imgur.com/vGz8mAm.png
This is probably gonna be my last post for a while in here unless others start posting here since I basically have my workaround, which is good enough for me for now.