Optimus Laptop Dynamic Power Management Working in Debian 12, Not in Linux Mint

Hello all,

I’ve seen a few threads related to getting their Nvidia Optimus to power down their discrete GPUs while not in use. I’m having the same problem on a Lenovo P1 Gen 4 with an RTX 3080 running Linux Mint 21.3, but not in Debian 12. Surely, the difference must be the driver is configured between the two OSes? For debugging purposes I’ve tried to get the kernel and driver versions as close to one another as possible (kernel=6.5.0, nvidia=550.54.14), and have included the output of nvidia-bug-report.sh running on both OSes.

Could this have anything to do with the NVreg_DynamicPowerManagement kernel mode option? I’ve attempted to set this explicitly to 0x03 in linux mint, but have done nothing in Debian 12.

WORKING (Debian 12) bug report:
nvidia-bug-report_debian.log.gz (427.9 KB)

NON-WORKING (Mint 21.3) bug report:
nvidia-bug-report_mint.log.gz (366.5 KB)

While the gpu is configured correctly, its audio device is set to always on:
/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:01:00.1/power/control : on
should be auto
Please check the snd_hda_intel module options.

For anyone else going down this path, power/control:auto is the default behavior for the card on Mint.

This was being overwritten on my computer by tlp, which sets power/control:on for all pcie devices by default when on AC power, but auto only on battery power. This is controlled by the RUNTIME_PM_ON_AC parameter in /etc/tlp.conf. It’s not clear to me why the GPU wasn’t sleeping while on battery power before, but I see that it is sleeping properly now.

Relevant docs: Power Consumption — TLP 1.6 documentation

Thank you for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.