Orin NX Unable to Report Voltage and Current

Good afternoon, I have made the following changes to the pinmux in the files I use to flash Orin NX modules:

• GPIO #3, Set req initial state to drive 1
  • GPIO #6, Set Pin Direction to Input, req initial state to N/A
  • GPIO #12 Set Pin Direction to Output, Req initial state to Drive 1
  • CAM1_PWDN Change Req initial state to Z
  • GPIO #9 Change Pin Direction to bidirectional

I generate the following files with the excel sheet after making the above changes:

1. pinmux.dtsi
  2. gpio.dtsi
  3. padvoltage.dtsi

I then copy the padvoltage.dtsi and pinmux.dtsi files to the <l4t_top>/bootloader/t186ref/BCT/ directory and copy the gpio.dtsi file to the <l4t_top>/bootloader/ directory and edit the board conf file to point to those newly generated files

I then flash the Orin NX module inside the Xavier NX devkit using the following command:

sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --external-device nvme0n1p1 -c tools/kernel_flash/flash_l4t_external.xml -p "-c bootloader/t186ref/cfg/flash_t234_qspi.xml" --showlogs --network usb0 p3509-a02+p3767-0000 internal

This is using L4T 35.2.1 and JetPack 5.1 on Orin NX

Problem: After flashing with the above steps, I cannot access voltage and current readings that should be available through /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/ina3221/1-0040/hwmon/hwmon4/in1_input or /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/ina3221/1-0040/hwmon/hwmon4/curr1_input

I am only able to see the following file path:

Please inform me on how to fix this issue. Is there any way for me to still access voltage and current readings from the Orin NX?

hello lphillips,

Orin NX series have a 3-channel INA3221 power monitor at the 0x40 I2C address.
assume you’re able to read those before flashing the pinmux config, right?
could you please try $ sudo find / -name hwmon, and let’s check whether you still see voltage and current nodes under hardware monitor,
thanks

Thanks for the response.

I was able to read voltage/current from the proper path before flashing pinmux config.

Here is my output of sudo find / -name hwmon :

hello lphillips,

we may need the details of your repo steps.
for example,
there’re 4 sheets in Jetson_Orin_NX_series_and_Orin_Nano_series_Pinmux_Config_Template.xlsm.
do you use Jetson_Orin_NX_Series_+HDMI A03 for your target?
and…
had you also replaced the following lines with generated dtsi in p3509-a02+p3767-0000.conf?
PINMUX_CONFIG=“tegra234-mb1-bct-pinmux-p3767-hdmi-a03.dtsi”;
PMC_CONFIG=“tegra234-mb1-bct-padvoltage-p3767-hdmi-a03.dtsi”;

Thanks for the reply @JerryChang.

I used Jetson_Orin_NX_Series+HDMI A03 as my target and I modified the PINMUX_CONFIG and PMC_CONFIG names in the board.conf file to match those new dtsi files that were generated by the excel document.

hello lphillips,

you may gather kernel init messages, i.e. $ dmesg > klogs.txt

please check whether INA3221 has probed correctly, or, you’re seeing error like this… ina3221x: probe of 1-0040 failed with error.

Thanks for the response @JerryChang

I see this output when I do sudo dmesg | grep ina3221:

[   12.540928] ina3221 1-0040: Unable to reset device
[   12.545890] ina3221: probe of 1-0040 failed with error -110

I suspect I set some pins in the pinmux to unused that might effect this device? Is there any way for me to restore access to ina3221 without re-flashing?

Thanks

hello lphillips,

ya… it may pin configuration to cause such issue, the software reset of the INA3221 has failed.
also, the error code… probe of 1-0040 failed with error -110. it means connection has timed out.

it’s device tree to apply the pin settings after kernel booting up. you may modify /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf to specify FDT entry for updating this without re-flashing the target.

moreover,
you may disassembler the dtb file into text file, for example, $ dtc -I dtb -O dts -o output.dts tegra234-p3767-0000-p3768-0000-a0.dtb
please examine the node within…

i2c@c240000 {
                ina32211_1_40: ina3221@40 {

it’s also able to convert the DTS into a new DTB file for quick testing
for example, $ dtc -I dts -O dtb -o output.dtb output.dts

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.