PCIe version compatibility and the maximum data rate that can be achieved??

Hi,

I have selected the part LAN7430, PCIe to Gigabit ethernet bridge. PCIe version supported in this part is PCIe 3.1.
Will TX2 be able to support this part? What will be maximum data rate of the ethernet that can be achieved in this case?

Can anyone please clarify this.

Thanks

Hi,
TX2’s PCIe supports Gigabit Ethernet bandwidth (in fact much more than that)

Hi Vidyas,

Thanks for the reply.
Will TX2 support Gigabit Ethernet bandwidth when single lane configuration is used?

Will TX2 support Gigabit Ethernet bandwidth when single lane configuration is used?
Yes.

Added note: PCIe revisions 1 and 2 are supported. Anything revision 3 will simply reduce back to a gen. 1 or 2 speed. Even gen. 1 (revision 1) supports 2.5GT/s (after 8b/10b encoding, but not including other overhead, this means a single lane of revision 1 supports 2Gb/s…revision 2 is twice as fast as revision one). Basically a single lane at the slowest speed would support a single gigabit. I do not know how the bridge would set up (it isn’t a typical PCIe endpoint device) at the non-Jetson end, but it might show as only achieving revision 2 speeds (or even revision 1), but regardless of this the speed exceeds gigabit requirements.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The theoretical PCIe gen. 1 speed for single lane is 2Gb/s, what will be the practical data rate that can be achieved by TX2?

Can I know what will be the practical data rate that can be achieved by TX2 for single lane configuration of PCIe gen. 1 and gen. 2 ?

Around 1.6 Gb/s (for Gen-1) and 3.3 Gb/s (for Gen-2)

Those rates are per data lane…if you use 8 lanes, then multiply by 8.