problem with CUDA 2 and ubuntu 8.04 not found -lcuda

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a system with NVIDIA 7200 card [ i will be using emulator for work ].

I have just installed CUDA 2 toolkit and SDK.

On “make emu=1” it gives error “cannot find -lcuda”. From net I found out that it is because the installer doesn’t puts libcuda.so in lib directory.

So if someone could tell where to get corresponding library file from. I have searched my system for libcuda.so but couldnt find any.

For 1.1 it is given to be extracted from some driver rpm setup file, but I am not even able to find any such file too.

ok…so i somehow got NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.09-pkg1 and got libcuda.so from it.

Now when I execute “make emu=1” it gives

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/NVIDIA_CUDA_SDK/projects/threadMigration’

obj/emudebug/threadMigration.cpp_o: In function `FinalErrorCheck(int, int, int)':

/home/NVIDIA_CUDA_SDK/projects/threadMigration/threadMigration.cpp:247: undefined reference to `cuCtxDestroy’

obj/emudebug/threadMigration.cpp_o: In function `ThreadProc(_CUDAContext_st*)':

/home/NVIDIA_CUDA_SDK/projects/threadMigration/threadMigration.cpp:189: undefined reference to `cuCtxPushCurrent’

/home/NVIDIA_CUDA_SDK/projects/threadMigration/threadMigration.cpp:225: undefined reference to `cuCtxPopCurrent’

obj/emudebug/threadMigration.cpp_o: In function `InitCUDAContext(_CUDAContext_st*, int, int, char*)':

/home/NVIDIA_CUDA_SDK/projects/threadMigration/threadMigration.cpp:157: undefined reference to `cuCtxPopCurrent’

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

make[1]: *** […/…/bin/linux/emudebug/threadMigration] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/NVIDIA_CUDA_SDK/projects/threadMigration’

make: *** [projects/threadMigration/Makefile.ph_build] Error 2

I am using gnu gcc-4.1 as compiler.

Can someone guide me what to do next.

Ubuntu-8.04 is not supported with CUDA (the next release after 2.0 will support it). I’d guess that the problems you’re encountering are due to toolchain versioning (you need to downgrade more than just gcc explicitly).

Do toolchain things like glibc make it hazardous to use unsupported-by-CUDA Linux versions/distros? I greatly prefer to work on Ubuntu 8.04 and while I don’t see any instant crashes, I would like to avoid subtle runtime pitfalls … would you recommend downgrading to 7.10, even though compilation and execution seem OK?

You’re welcome to use whatever you prefer, however any problems that you report or encounter need to be reproducible on a supported Linux distribution in order to be investigated.

I understand. Thanks for the reply.

I also experienced this error, but if you just disable the threadMigration sample (rename the makefile in the threadMigration folder), the other examples seem to compile and run just fine.