Recovery mode not recognized (Solved)

I followed the instructions to connect the front USB C cable to my laptop (Dell XPS 13 running Ubuntu 16.04) and put the Xavier in recovery mode (powered off, hold down Force Recovery button, press Power button, release both). It seems like the device is in recovery mode as lsusb and dmesg show that an Nvidia device is connected, and the monitor connected to the Xavier does not go through the usual boot sequence. I am able to ping as well.

But JetPack installation fails with the following error message:

###############################################################################
# L4T BSP Information:
# R31 (release), REVISION: 0.2, GCID: 12860113, BOARD: t186ref, EABI: aarch64, 
# DATE: Sat Sep 29 05:14:38 UTC 2018
Error: probing the target board failed.
       Make sure the target board is connected through 
       USB port and is in recovery mode.

Could this be a hardware issue?

Hi, this is showing that it is trying to flash the TX2 version of L4T (t186ref).

Please re-download the latest JetPack 4.1 and try again.

I tried JetPack 4.1 and it is giving the same error log (BOARD: t186ref). See screenshot attached.

I think it’s a server issue because at the root of my JetPack directory, after host-side installation, I see a Tegra_Linux_Driver_Package_Release_Notes_R31.0.1.pdf when the release notes should be for R31.0.2. Edit: nevermind, just saw https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1042436/jetson-agx-xavier/jetpack-4-1-documentation-updated-/post/5287555/#5287555.

The installer I downloaded is called JetPack-L4T-4.1-linux-x64_b5.run.

Hi davidjuny74v9,

Only the L4T Release Notes have changed since the last release. The document above did not require updates, so it was the same.

Please check the same topic: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1042436

Thanks carolyuu. I saw that same topic after I made my post.

@dusty_nv mentioned that it seemed like the flash utility was trying to flash the TX2, but running

sudo ./flash.py --no-flash jetson-xavier mmcblk0p12

I see references to t194. I’ve attached the generated flash_cmd.txt that is saved in the Xavier/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader folder. Can someone confirm that this is the correct flash command?

Running the flash utility without the --no-flash option results in the same “probing the target board failed” error.

Thanks,
David
flashcmd.txt (1.32 KB)

Hi davidjuny74v9,

I don’t know what’s going on there. Probably you were inputting “mmcblk0p12” instead of “mmcblk0p1”. But it failed during JetPack installation procedure then I think it got confused with some other jetson board connected to the host system. Just a guess.

Also, this is what I see if I run ./flash.sh on my host system:

# L4T BSP Information:
# R31 (release), REVISION: 0.1, GCID: 12626738, BOARD: t186ref, EABI: aarch64, 
# DATE: Thu Sep  6 04:25:24 UTC 2018
# Target Board Information:
# Name: jetson-xavier, Board Family: t186ref, SoC: Tegra 194, 
# OpMode: production, Boot Authentication: , 

So, the BOARD: t186ref is the Family but SoC is t194. Moreover the /etc/nv_tegra_release shows “BOARD: t186ref”.

Edit: This is /etc/nv_tegra_release output after installing with JetPack 4.1.

nvidia@jetson-0422818069413:~$ head -n1 /etc/nv_tegra_release 
# R31 (release), REVISION: 0.2, GCID: 12860113, BOARD: t186ref, EABI: aarch64, DATE: Sat Sep 29 05:14:38 UTC 2018
nvidia@jetson-0422818069413:~$

Changing it to mmcblk0p1 did not make a difference.

I ended up trying a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 install on a different machine. Recovery mode was recognized properly and everything flashed as expected.

I’ll close this issue and assume the problem was with my original host.