Screen freezes at random intervals with RTX 4060 Max-Q / Mobile, multiple driver versions tested

dmesg_errors.txt (2.3 KB)
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (708.4 KB)

Ubuntu 24.04 LTS (default kernel (6.8.0-35-generic) and GNOME version (46))
nvidia-driver-555/noble,now 555.52.04
GeForce RTX 4060 Max-Q / Mobile
Lenovo LOQ 16APH8

My screen randomly freezes, and this is accompanied with 2 lines of dmesg output after each freeze
[drm:nv_drm_atomic_commit [nvidia_drm]] ERROR [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000100] Flip event timeout on head 0
I’ve attached the result of dmesg | grep error -i
Pressing ctrl alt F3 and then ctrl alt F2 will unfreeze the screen.

Troubleshooting Attempts:

• Happens with both X and Wayland.
  • Happens on both Ubuntu 23.10 and 24.04 after clean installation
  • Happens across multiple NVIDIA driver versions 535, 545, 550, and 555.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance and will provide any additional information needed get to the bottom of this issue.

2 Likes

Update:
I can consistently reproduce the bug by rapidly turning night light on and off for 30 seconds (tested with Ubuntu 24.04, Wayland, nvidia-driver-555). I use my laptop like a desktop with the laptop screen off and an external monitor attached. I have since had both screens on and it turns out that only the external monitor is affected, while the built-in display still works.
This issue has been reported before: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/external-monitor-freezes-when-using-dedicated-gpu/265406
It also turns out that the “flip event timeout on head 0” does not appear in the dmesg outout directly after the freeze, but after switching virtual terminals to unfreeze. However, if I switch virtual terminals without the screen having first frozen, then I do not get the “flip event timeout on head” message.

After seeing this in 560 release thread , i managed to reproduce this in the 560.35.03 drivers by triggering the nightlight on and off as mentioned, it was very very sporadic.

sometime i could trigger it every time i turned on and off nighlight in gnome, now i had to randomly turn it on and off for 10 mins , its just very sporadic on my system. but i managed to trigger it multiple times and attaches logs if its of any help.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (679.5 KB)
nvidia-bug-report.log.old.gz (741.4 KB)
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (685.4 KB)

1 Like

Thank you all for the information.

I have filed NVBug #4821165 - ‘Screen freeze observed when Night Mode is toggled on Ubuntu 24.04 PRIME notebooks with an external monitor’ for tracking. This is under investigation.

I can reproduce this only on Wayland sessions. Are you able to reproduce this on both X and Wayland?

As I wrote in 560 release feedback & discussion - #301 by mirao, I’m able to reproduce it in Wayland only.

2 Likes

I am currently unable to reproduce the issue with X anymore.

1 Like