Sdkmanager wan't install in my NVIDIA jetson xavier NX

I Need Help

$ sudo apt install ./sdkmanager_1.2.0-6733_amd64.deb
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Note, selecting ‘sdkmanager:amd64’ instead of ‘./sdkmanager_1.2.0-6733_amd64.deb’
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
** sdkmanager:amd64 : Depends: libgconf-2-4:amd64 but it is not installable**
** Depends: libcanberra-gtk-module:amd64 but it is not installable**
** Depends: locales:amd64 but it is not installable**
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I assume this is done on the host PC without a VM. Try this first:

sudo apt update
sudo apt --fix-broken install

SDK manager is meant to be installed on a host PC, not on the Tegra device. You can use apt-get as usual to install any software you need directly. SDK manager is not really needed anymore unless you need to flash a device that does not have a SD card reader. Even then the flashing scripts can be downloaded independently.

I’m new to Jetson (recently got a Jetson Xavier NX). The documentation is extremely confusing at the moment. Here’s my understanding of the current situation (pls correct me or confirm this is accurate … I suspect this is cause other newbies confusion too):

1. SDK Manager tool is a legacy tool that used to be installed on a Host Ubuntu PC and used to install the latest SDKs (i.e. Jetpack) on to the Xavier NX board. This is not needed anymore.
  2. Current setup process to get started is to download the SD Card image from Nvidia and use debian tools to get going:
    sudo su
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get install nvidia-jetson

Despite the above, I’m unsure I have a system on-par with what the SDK Manager used to download (e.g. nvidia-smi doesn’t work out of the box???). I’ve watched videos on YouTube where it seems that SDK-manager has options such as standard install, full install, etc. Can someone clarify if installing the nvidia-jetson package with apt-get gives you the equivalent of a standard install? If not, how does one go about determining what are the missing packages?

Thanks!!

@iqbaliia

You have all that right, except nvidia-smi is not available on Tegra, so that’s why you’re not finding it :)

1 Like