I want to run some computations using CUDA, and therefore is desirable to stop the X server to that GPU.
But unfortunately, without a running X server, an user made auto-adjust fan speed script doesn’t work anymore, since nvidia-settings (which is the responsible to set the fan rate) complains about the absence of X server.
- The GPU doesn't have a built-in method to adjust the fan speed automatically, thus an user-made script is needed, since the GPU will work a lot
- X server must be stopped to use the CUDA debugger and run things smoothly
- Fan adjust command doesn't work without an X server
To solve this, may then be possible to:
- Loore nvidia-settings somehow, to force set values on the device?
- Use nvidia-smi instead?
- Develop a VBIOS capable of auto-adjust fan speeds?
I’ve been looking around on these 3 subjects last days, with no luck.
I appreciate any help.
The GPU is a GeForce GTX560.