Setting up CUDA 2.1 on Windows VISTA 64-bit Error message from the compiler

Hi,
I try to setup a VISTA 64-bit machine with CUDA 2.1. I get the following error message. I tried re-installing the packages.

Your help is much appreciated,

• Wolf

1>------ Build started: Project: simpleD3D10Texture, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Compiling with CUDA Build Rule…
1>“C:\CUDA\bin\nvcc.exe” -arch sm_10 -ccbin “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin” -Xcompiler "/EHsc /W3 /nologo /Od /Zi /MTd " -IC:\CUDA\include -I./ -I…/…/common/inc -maxrregcount=32 --compile -o Debug\texture_cube.cu.obj texture_cube.cu
1>nvcc fatal : Visual Studio configuration file ‘(null)’ could not be found for installation at ‘C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/VC/bin/…/…’
1>“C:\CUDA\bin\nvcc.exe” -arch sm_10 -ccbin “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin” -Xcompiler "/EHsc /W3 /nologo /Od /Zi /MTd " -IC:\CUDA\include -I./ -I…/…/common/inc -maxrregcount=32 --compile -o Debug\texture_3d.cu.obj texture_3d.cu
1>nvcc fatal : Visual Studio configuration file ‘(null)’ could not be found for installation at ‘C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/VC/bin/…/…’
1>“C:\CUDA\bin\nvcc.exe” -arch sm_10 -ccbin “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin” -Xcompiler "/EHsc /W3 /nologo /Od /Zi /MTd " -IC:\CUDA\include -I./ -I…/…/common/inc -maxrregcount=32 --compile -o Debug\texture_2d.cu.obj texture_2d.cu
1>Linking…
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file ‘cutil32D.lib’
1>Build log was saved at “file://c:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA CUDA SDK\projects\simpleD3D10Texture\Debug\BuildLog.htm”
1>simpleD3D10Texture - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Reading the error messages can be very helpful when diagnosing problems:

If I saw the number “32” and I was on a 64 bit OS, it would scream to me that I was not compiling for the right architecture.

First, you need to set the architecture target to “x64” (there’s a drop down in the toolbars at the top of the visual studio window). Then, you need to locate the cutil64 projects in the SDK (somewhere, I can’t remember the path) and build them for both debug and release versions.

You should be able to build the SDK examples after that, as long as you remember to build them in x64 mode.

EDIT: Also…remember that by default, Visual Studio does NOT install the x64 compilers and tools needed to compile the SDK examples on a 64-bit machine. You might want to double-check that you do have them installed (it would be easy to overlook if you’ve never had to use them before).

thanks profquail. shifter1: if you go through the setup the very first time nothing screams at you :-) … I admit that the 32 was kind of looking wrong but that is assuming that there is not one line of 32-bit code in there :-)
I tried to find last night the docs for the installation … kind of like what do you do in case it went wrong but was not able to find it. Anyone cares to help the blind?